This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4544 / 50°27'15"N
Longitude: -4.9994 / 4°59'57"W
OS Eastings: 187183
OS Northings: 65913
OS Grid: SW871659
Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.5HZ2
Mapcode Global: FRA 07FV.D54
Entry Name: Lanherne Carmelite Convent
Listing Date: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71101
Location: Mawgan-in-Pydar, Cornwall, TR8
Civil Parish: Mawgan-in-Pydar
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Mawgan-in-Pydar
Church of England Diocese: Truro
MAWGAN-IN-PYDAR ST MAWGAN
sw 86 NE
1/91 Lanherne Carmelite Convent
Carmelite convent, formerly the house of the Arundell family. Early C16, possibly including earlier building. Additions of C17, and a rear range of late C17, circa 1700; C18 and C19 additions, including the chapel. The front rainwater heads are dated BRF 1708. Lanherne has been a Carmelite convent since 1794. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. Gable end stacks with rendered shafts. The rear range is in coursed stone rubble; slate roof with gable ends and modillion eaves cornice.
Plan: To the front there are 2 parallel ranges; the inner range appears to be the first, with a parallel range built in front circa mid - late C16. At the right end, the chapel was added in C19: To the centre, there is a courtyard, with a wing extended to rear right and left. The courtyard is closed at the rear by a range of circa 1700. Only the outside of the building was accessible at time of survey (May 1987).
Exterior: The front is 2-storey, an asymmetrical range in 3 builds. The first range to left has 4 windows; ground floor has panelled double doors with 4-centred arched fanlight, moulded surround with cushion stops, brick and stone relieving arch. To left and right a 3-light granite window with 4-centred arches, hollow-chamfered with floating cornice, the cornice continued to right as a string course. First floor has similar 4-light window to right with king mullion and hood mould. To the centre are 2 similar 2-light windows with hood moulds and image niche between. Pair of fine rainwater heads in lead, dated 1717. At first floor to right a 3-light granite window with cusped lights and hood mould. Granite cornice with lead top, embattled, with a frieze. The gable end of the left side range is visible above. The next build to right has ground floor 8-light window, hollow-chamfered, with 4-centred arch, king mullion and floating cornice; corbelled out above with similar 8-light window which has a blind angled light at the left side. Slate-hung above with the lead frieze continued. The chapel is to end right, with gable end to front; ground floor has similar 5-light window with hood mould and similar 5-light window with hood mould at first floor. 2 courses of ashlar above with the lead frieze continued. Gable end above slate-hung. Attached to the front of the chapel is a low garden wall with a re-used 4-centred arched granite doorway. Set back to end right is a chapel porch, of single storey with loft, with 4-centred arched doorway with double plank doors and image niche above. Single chamfered light to right. The right gable end has 2-light chamfered window at first floor. At the right side there is a straight joint at the end of the main range. The later range to right has panelled double doors in rusticated surround with floating cornice. At first floor three C19 mullion and transom windows and early C18 sashes. Rainwater head dated 1708. The rear is a symmetrical 9-bay front of 2 storeys on cellar with moulded plinth and attic. The cellar windows are 2-light, in granite, with chamfered mullions, segmental arch with keystone. The casements are varied, some with crown glass. Ground floor has mullion and tramson windows with 21 panes below and 9 panes above, with L hinges, segmental arch and keystones. First floor has early C18 32-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and voussoirs. There is a 3-storey addition at the centre with door, 2-light casement of first and second floor. Third bay from right has plank door with floating cornice. Lead rainwater heads and band course at ground and first floor. Hipped dormers to the attic with sashes. Cupola with clock, ogee lead roof with weathervane. The dormers are continued at the right side. Brick arcaded panels to chimneys.
The building is said to have been refaced at the back by Sir Christopher Wren. The house was built by one of the earlier Arundells in whose family the Manor had been since 1231, when the marriage to Lady Alice Fulcar, heiress of Lanherne, the manor passed to Sir Remphrey Arundell. The house is said to contain good plasterwork, and an arched-brace roof may survive over the wing along the left side. There are probably also many other interesting internal features.
Listing NGR: SW8718365908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings