This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4018 / 50°24'6"N
Longitude: -5.1101 / 5°6'36"W
OS Eastings: 179083
OS Northings: 60389
OS Grid: SW790603
Mapcode National: GBR Z9.NYMD
Mapcode Global: FRA 075Z.R0C
Entry Name: Ship Inn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71059
Location: Crantock, Cornwall, TR8
Civil Parish: Crantock
Built-Up Area: Crantock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crantock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 76 SE
4/56 Ship Inn Farmhouse (formerly.,
listed as Meadow Bank,
Farmhouse, now house. Circa mid C17, with additions of later C17; later alterations
of C19, when the upper end was burnt and demolished circa 1900. Few later
alterations. Slatestone rubble and cob ; painted front. Thatched roof with gable
ends. The left gable end shares a stack with the adjoining house to left. The right
gable end has large stack with rubble shaft and shaped top. The front gable end to
the wing has stack with brick shaft, probably of C19.
Plan: Probably originally a 2-room plan house, with each room heated from a gable end
stack and passage between the two rooms. Larger room to left, probably originally
the lower end room. In the later C17, a one-room plan addition was made to the front
of the passage and lower end room; this was probably originally unheated, and had a
small lobby entrance with stair hall at the inner side. Stack inserted in the front
gable end probably circa early C19. Circa 1900, the left end was burnt and
demolished, and a single storey rubble and cob lean-to added to rear right.
Exterior: Asymmetrical 2-storey front; the front wing is projecting to the left, and
the main range extends to right. The wing has late C19 porch with hipped roof at the
left side with open front and C20 half-glazed door. C20 2-light casement at ground
floor to right and first floor to left. The front gable end has 2 inserted C20
casements, one formerly an early window. At ground floor there may originally have
been a window, with the lintel remaining. To right, the main range has C20 2-light
casement at ground and first floor. The left gable end is concealed by the adjoining
house. The right gable end is a blind rubble wall. 3-light casement in the lean-to
to right. At the rear; the main range has C20 stable door, and C20 2-light casement
with timber lintel; first floor has C20 2-light casement and 4-pane sash. The lean-
to to left has door at the inner side.
Interior: The main range has 2 rooms ; the doorway into the room to left, possibly
the site of the original passage entrance, has wooden lintel, chamfered with scroll
stops. There was formerly a stud partition to left of the doorway. The room to
right has C19 beams and C20 end fireplace with stone shelf to right and spice
cupboard with chamfered wooden lintel. Splayed reveal to the front window. In the
front wing, there is a C19 winder stair with stick balusters and columnar newel;
cupboard under the stair with door with strap hinges. At first floor, the room in
the front wing has chimneybreast with stone corbel. In the main range, the room to
right has stepped chimneybreast and a hole in the floor at the right side, leading to
a recess which may have originally been a smoking chamber. Panelled partition wall
probably of late C18 - early C19. Roughly hewn beams visible at the wall-tops, roof
space not accessible.
There is a photograph in the house, showing Ship Inn Farmhouse before the fire which
removed the left end.
Listing NGR: SW7906960375
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings