This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3706 / 50°22'14"N
Longitude: -4.6476 / 4°38'51"W
OS Eastings: 211816
OS Northings: 55650
OS Grid: SX118556
Mapcode National: GBR N6.V005
Mapcode Global: FRA 1842.54X
Entry Name: Penquite House
Listing Date: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70992
Location: St. Sampson, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: St. Sampson
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Sampson (or Golant)
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NW
8/243 Penquite House
House, now youth hostel. Circa 1840, with some later alterations, including C20
alterations to the interior. Stuccoed stone rubble. Slate roofs, hipped over the
ranges to sides, with gable ends to front and rear, lead rolls to hips and ridges,
with rendered stacks to ridges.
Plan: double depth plan, with central entrance to vestibule; principal room to right
and service room to left. Central stair hall, with 2 principal rooms and one kitchen
facing the garden to rear. Attached to the left side, a single storey service block
built around a narrow courtyard, including former sculleries and wash house, with
entrance at the left side.
2 storeys, symmetrical 5 windows front on granite plinth with deep moulded eaves.
All windows are C19 12-pane sashes in plain raised architraves, with first floor cill
band. Central double 3-panelled doors with overlight with decorative glazing,
moulded architrave and pediment on consoles. The right side has a late C19
conservatory attached at ground floor, with 3 gable ends; inside the conservatory, 2
tall plate glass sashes giving access to the conservatory. Plate-glass sash at
ground floor to right and 12-pane sash to left, all in same plain raised architraves.
At first floor, cill band continued, and four 12-pane sashes in similar surrounds.
The rear forms the garden front, of 5 bays, with the 3 centre bays broken forward
under a pediment with oeil de boeuf. All windows 12-pane sashes except ground floor
left a later plate-glass replacement; first floor cill band. The left side has first
floor cill band and three 12-pane sashes at first floor. At ground floor, the
service block has a pitched roof, curved around the corners, with a bellcote over the
left side entrance. To the front, four 12-pane sashes with a pilaster between each;
blind window on the curve of the wall; left side entrance has double 3-panelled doors
with fist and wreath knocker, set in a round arch with a panelled tympanum, gable
over. 12-pane sash to right and left with pilasters, gabled bellcote above with
bell. Rear treated the same with sashes and pilasters. Inside the service
courtyard, granite paving, and the house has a central 12-pane sash at ground floor.
Service rooms have 16-pane sashes and 4-panelled doors facing the courtyard.
Interior The cellars under the main stair hall are vaulted in brick with square
piers with imposts. The central stair hall has a cornice with palmettes, egg and
dart and bead and reel mouldings, similar cornice at first floor landing and
rectangular lantern. Fine open-well stair with moulded wreathed handrail and cast
iron balusters. The front entrance is to a large vestibule, with plain moulded
cornice, panelled shutters and pelmet to windows. The central room on the garden
front has a marble chimneypiece on the rear wall, cornice with vine leaves and
bunches of grapes; windows have panelled shutters and pelmets with swags. The room
to right side on the garden front has an oak leaf and acorn frieze, moulded cornice
and marble Regency style chimneypiece on the inner wall; similar shutters and pelmets
to windows. Room to front right has plainer moulded cornice. Most doors replaced in
late C20, some panelled doors survive.
Penquite was the home of John Whitehead Peard (1811-80), colonel in the Royal Army of
Savoy and known as "Garibaldi's Englishman!" He joined Garibaldi's forces in 1859 and
distinguished himself at the battle of Melazzo in 1860 and commanded the English
legion during Garibaldi's advance on Naples. When Garibaldi made his triumphant visit
to England in 1864 he insisted. on going to Cornwall to stay with Peard at Penquite.
Source: F Welsh, Country Life, 20 May 1982, pp 1462, 1463.
Listing NGR: SX1181655650
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings