History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Grammer School Court and Attached Forecourt Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Lostwithiel, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4072 / 50°24'25"N

Longitude: -4.6711 / 4°40'15"W

OS Eastings: 210294

OS Northings: 59777

OS Grid: SX102597

Mapcode National: GBR N4.RRZD

Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.818

Entry Name: Old Grammer School Court and Attached Forecourt Walls

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 28 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144245

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70885

Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Lostwithiel

Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Lostwithiel

Listing Text

LOSTWITHIEL QUEEN STREET, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/133 Old Grammer School Court and
-
18.10.49 attached forecourt walls (formerly
listed as the Old Grammer School)
GV II

School, now in multiple occupation. Dated 1781, with late C20 alterations. Granite
ashlar front. Slate roof with gable ends behind parapet.
Central entrance, and entrance to right and left of front, approached by a path with
gateways in the front courtyard walls; originally one room to left and right of the
central entrance.
2 storeys with attic on plinth, symmetrical 1:5:1 bays. 3 central bays broken forward
with pediment with moulded coping; ground floor has arcade of 3 round arches with
square imposts, central panelled and glazed double doors with blind fanlight, 2-light
C20 casement to right and left with fanlights; at first floor, three 12-pane sashes,
the central sash with the datestone as apron, with inscription: This building was
erected by George, Visct Mt Edgcumbe and Valletort in the year 1781; painted shield
of arms with viscount's coronet over. Outer bays to right and left have 2-light
casement in similar round arch, formerly a doorway, with 12-pane sash at first floor.
The attic storey has gabled dormer to left and right, each with 4-pane sash, C20
rooflights behind pediment.
The forecourt walls are about 1½ metres high, with central gateway with plain pier
with pyramidal cap to each side. At each end, a round arch with imposts and wall
carried over the coping.
Interior Not inspected.


Listing NGR: SX1029459777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.