This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3938 / 50°23'37"N
Longitude: -4.6752 / 4°40'30"W
OS Eastings: 209948
OS Northings: 58306
OS Grid: SX099583
Mapcode National: GBR N4.SJXD
Mapcode Global: FRA 1830.6FL
Entry Name: Castle
Listing Date: 4 June 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144251
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70790
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanlivery
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 05 NE
House. Largely of circa 1840, incorporating an earlier, probably C18 range, with
later additions of circa 1880, and some later alterations. Coursed slatestone rubble
with granite dressings. Slate roofs with deep overhanging eaves, ridge stacks and
gable end stacks.
The front range of c. 1840 is a U-plan, with wing of one-room plan projecting to
front right and left; the central 3 bays have a later C19 porch to right and to its
left an addition set between the wings. The entrance leads to a hall with stair to
rear left, and parallel rear wing containing principal room to rear right. To the
rear left are service blocks, including a later C19 kitchen block, dairy and game
larder, with service stair to the rear of the C18 building, which is enclosed within
the later additions.
2 storeys, 2:3:2 windows, all 4-centred arched sashes of 12 panes, except in the wing
to right, which has plate-glass sashes, and ground floor to left in the wing which
has 4-centred arched French windows of late C19 with hood mould. The granite ashlar
porch, set in the angle to the front right wing, has a wide 4-centred arched opening
with C20 half-glazed doors, corbelled blocking course and parapet with pierced cusped
panels. To left, single storey addition with three 4-centred arched plate-glass
sashes, blocking course and parapet. The wings have a string course over the first
floor windows forming pediments to the gable ends. Wing to right has front gable end
stack, wing to left has stack to side, the wings both being of one-room plan. The
right side has two 4-centred arched plate-glass sashes at ground and first floor. 2
parallel gabled wings to right, of 2 storeys to left and 2) storeys to right; to the
left there is a ground floor canted bay of late C19 with 4 plate-glass 4-centred
arched sashes, 3 similar windows at first floor. Porch with glazed door set in angle
to wing to right. Wing to right has two 4-centred arched windows at ground and first
floor, one at 2nd floor with glazing bars remaining and string course over, forming a
pedimental gable end. Further service range set back to right of 2 storeys, with 4-
centred arched plate-glass sash at first floor. Left side has 16-pane sash at ground
floor and two 12-pane sashes at first floor, with 2 stacks rising from eaves. To the
rear, the wing at front left is continued as a cross wing, with 12-pane sash at
ground and first floor and roof hipped to rear. The rear of the main front range has
a parallel 2-storey block with gable end stacks, of the C18, with 12-pane sash at
ground and first floor of the outer left gable end. A 2-storey C19 kitchen block is
attached to rear left with large brick stack to side and bellcote with ogee roof and
weather-vane. To rear left, 2 gable ends with 16-pane and 12-pane sashes with brick
segmental heads at ground, first and 2nd floors.
Interior The porch opens to a stair hall with open-well stair to left, with paired
turned balusters and moulded handrail, of the c. 1840 build. Archway to the rear
service corridor with Tudor Gothic style plasterwork with fleurons. The 2 principal
rooms to front and side to right have fine plaster cornices and Gothic wooden pelmets
for curtains to windows.
To the rear the service rooms are grouped around a small central courtyard, and
include the C19 kitchen which is open to the roof, with a double sided fireplace for
the range and meat ovens, With sprung spit, granite sing and slate shelf. Other
rooms include dairy, with slate floor and shelves and central drain, game larder and
bakehouse with bread ovens. The cellars have a loading bay from the central
courtyard and include 2 wine cellars.
This house has an unusually complete range of C19 service rooms surviving. Rudolf
Hess is said to have been interrogated here.
Listing NGR: SX0994858306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings