History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel and Schoolroom and Front Courtyard Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Madron, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1498 / 50°8'59"N

Longitude: -5.6169 / 5°37'0"W

OS Eastings: 141712

OS Northings: 34017

OS Grid: SW417340

Mapcode National: GBR DXH8.ZYM

Mapcode Global: VH058.LHFH

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel and Schoolroom and Front Courtyard Wall

Listing Date: 7 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70489

Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Madron

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Madron

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Morvah

Listing Text

MADRON LITTLE BOSULLOW
SW 43 SW
6/143 Methodist Chapel and Schoolroom and
- front courtyard wall
GV II

Methodist chapel adjoining front courtyard walls linked to otherwise detached
schoolroom. Datestone 1845. Coursed granite rubble with granite dressings.
Slurried scantle slate roofs: hipped roof over chapel, roof with gable ends to
schoolroom.
Plan: rectangular aisle-less chapel with rostrum at east end and gallery at the west
end (entrance front). Schoolroom is a simple rectangular building with central
doorway.
Exterior: Symmetrical west fronts. The chapel has elliptically-arched central
doorway and 2 round-headed windows high up under the eaves. Plinth, rusticated
quoins. Original pair of panelled doors and original iron bootscraper. Spoked
fanlight over doors. Original hornless sashes with traceried heads. Projecting
eaves. Right hand side wall has original 24-pane hornless sashes, those to the
opposite wall are 6-pane C20 replacements.
Schoolroom has original 6-panel door and overlight. Flanking windows blocked.
Interior of chapel: original features: gallery carried on Doric columns and box pews;
painted rostrum with turned balusters to round-headed balustrade and moulded ceiling
cornice.
Interior of schoolroom not inspected.
Simple coped rubble wall encloses rectangular courtyard in front of the chapel, its
right hand side formed by the left hand end of the schoolroom.


Listing NGR: SW4171234017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.