This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7729 / 54°46'22"N
Longitude: -2.9907 / 2°59'26"W
OS Eastings: 336366
OS Northings: 542442
OS Grid: NY363424
Mapcode National: GBR 7FK7.BV
Mapcode Global: WH80N.194D
Entry Name: Sebergham Hall
Listing Date: 3 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144392
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72472
Location: Sebergham, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: Sebergham
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Castle Sowerby St Kentigern
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Churchtown
9/164 Sebergham Hall
House. Late C17. Pink and calciferous sandstone ashlar, with eaves cornice and
V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped
gables and kneelers; ashlar chimney stacks. Extension of hammer-dressed
sandstone under graduated greenslate roof with square ashlar chimney stack. 2
storeys, 5 bays, with lower 2-storey, 3-bay extension to right. Panelled double
doors in bolection architrave with carved leaf frieze under console bracketed
broken segmental pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves,
those on ground floor under alternating triangular and segmental broken
pediments; central upper floor window with carved frieze and console brackets.
Blocked entrance to extension (now casement window) has dated and inscribed
lintel, TS 1766. 2- and 3-light casement windows, sash windows with glazing
bars to right, all in stone architraves. Rear: entrance to extension has dated
and inscribed lintel R & R.S. 1737 with unifying extension dated and inscribed
over window H.J.S. 1964. 2-light stone-mullioned C18 and C20 windows. Interior
has panelled shutters to each window. Late C17 oak staircase with twisted
balusters and heavily moulded handrail. Home of the Simpson family until 1780
and bought back by the present owner Hugh John Simpson in 1946, See
Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new
series, lxxxiii, p81.
Listing NGR: NY3636642442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings