This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8238 / 54°49'25"N
Longitude: -3.1595 / 3°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 325599
OS Northings: 548273
OS Grid: NY255482
Mapcode National: GBR 6DCN.RL
Mapcode Global: WH6Z7.F0PV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72021
Location: Wigton, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Wigton
Built-Up Area: Wigton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Wigton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 2548 WIGTON HIGH STREET
(East side) Wigton
14/67 Church of St Mary
Parish Church on medieval site. Dated and inscribed in porch 1788, PATTINSON
AND HOLMES JOINERS, NIXONS AND PARKIN MASONS, built to the same design as St
Michael's, Workington, 1770 and St Cuthbert's, Carlisle, 1778; restoration 1881
(dated in porch) by C.J. Ferguson; vestry dated 1912. Red sandstone from Shawk
Quarry, with V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth; string course, eaves cornice
and parapet. Graduated greenslate roof. 2-storey, 8-bay nave; 3-storey west
tower/porch; north vestry; lower single-bay chancel. Tower: panelled west door
under intersecting-glazing bar fanlight in quoined surround. Similar treatment
to casement window above. Round window above with patterned glazing bars.
Large painted clock face with modillioned surround. Round-headed bell openings
with louvred vents. Modillioned battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Nave:
south panelled doors in round-headed quoined surrounds flank round-headed
leaded-paned windows, some with stained glass. Similar gallery windows above.
Venetian east window in chancel. Interior: Tuscan and Doric columned gallery,
upper columns with individual entablature. Ceiling with decorative oval and
circular-moulded plaster panels. Early C20 baptistery with carved oak screen.
Numerous white marble wall plaques. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Side
chapel has reredos made of re-used Flemish carved oak panels. 3-decker pulpit.
OS bench mark on quoin stone left of entrance.
Listing NGR: NY2559948273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings