This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8454 / 54°50'43"N
Longitude: -3.2829 / 3°16'58"W
OS Eastings: 317716
OS Northings: 550818
OS Grid: NY177508
Mapcode National: GBR 5DJD.1V
Mapcode Global: WH6YZ.JGXT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71961
Location: Holme Abbey, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Holme Abbey
Built-Up Area: Abbeytown
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Holme Cultram St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 15 SE HOLME ABBEY Abbeytown
6/10 Church of St Mary
Cistercian Abbey now Parish Church. Founded 1150 with early C16 addition and
alterations dated 1730; 1884-5 vestry and 1913 restoration; 1973 ambulatory.
Large blocks of red sandstone (brought across the Solway from Scotland).
Graduated greenslate roof, Welsh slate on porch and vestry. West porch and
ambulatory extension; 6-bay nave/chancel, formerly the nave of the Abbey Church
(originally of 9 bays) with aisles removed; west twin bellcote and north
vestry/organ chamber. 2-storey porch has round arch with Latin inscription to
Robert Chambers, Abbot 1507 and his coat of arms. Upper floor rebuilt to form
vestry, dated 1730 with Latin inscription. 2-light lancet windows flank
inscription. Flanking statue recesses of 1507 appearance; the right one has
door giving access to small chamber. Ambulatory to right, linking with
adjoining library and shop, has lead-paned windows in chamfered surrounds. Side
walls of nave of 1730 have round-headed casement windows with glazing bars on 2
levels. West wall projects at either side and has been stepped to give the
appearance of buttresses. Perpendicular east window c1604, moved to its present
location in 1730, flanked by former nave aisle columns. Interior of porch and
ambulatory have grave slabs to various abbots and members of the Chambers family
of Raby Cote. Heavily moulded west portal with 4 orders of shaft columns and
enriched waterleaf capitals. Interior: arcades have piers of clustered
columns, with waterleaf capitals, and pointed arches now blocked to form north
and south walls. Pre-Reformation open timber roof moved to a lower level in
c1604. Restoration dated MCMXIII on corbel. Norman gallery at west end now
gives access to former vestry. Royal Arms of Queen Victoria. Free-standing
bust of Joseph Saul by Joshua Anderson. Jacobean carved oak chair and 2 C15 or
early C16 oak muniment chests. C20 furnishings and fittings. Late C19 and
early C20 stained glass. After the Dissolution the Abbey was granted to Oxford
University. See G.E. Gilbanks, Some Records of A Cistercian Abbey/Holme
Cultram, Cumberlands, 1899; F. Grainger and W.G. Collingwood, The Register &
Records of Holme Cultram, 1929; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland
Antiquarian & Archaenlogical Society, old series, i, p263; new series, vii,
pp262-268; xiii, pp244-251.
Listing NGR: NY1771550817
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings