History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bride

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirkbride, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9047 / 54°54'17"N

Longitude: -3.203 / 3°12'10"W

OS Eastings: 322960

OS Northings: 557329

OS Grid: NY229573

Mapcode National: GBR 6C2Q.CL

Mapcode Global: WH6YM.RZYB

Entry Name: Church of St Bride

Listing Date: 1 April 1967

Last Amended: 19 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71985

Location: Kirkbride, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Kirkbride

Built-Up Area: Kirkbride

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkbride St Bride

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Drumburgh

Listing Text

NY 25 NW KIRKBRIDE Kirkbride

1/4/67

3/34 Church of St Bride,
formerly listed as
Church of St Bridget)

II*

Parish church. C12 with C19 restoration. Large blocks of red sandstone
(thought to be of Roman origin) with flush quoins. Nave roof of graduated
sandstone slates; chancel, vestry and porch with greenslate roofs. 3-bay nave
with west open bellcote and south porch; lower single-bay chancel with south
vestry. Nave has round-headed south entrance with C19 timber-framed porch.
Tall C19 cusped-headed windows, that to left of 2-lights. North wall has narrow
blocked entrance under flat lintel. One original narrow round-headed window and
similar window in chancel. C19 intersecting east window. Interior: unmoulded
chancel arch on plain imposts. Square-bowled font with knobbly leaf decoration
around the underside and trefoil and quatrefoil panel decorations on each side.
Small square stoup in chancel has rounded corners and carved lamb and cross
decoration. Inscription over south entrance, now door into vestry, E(cclesia)
Bride. C19 and early C20 stained glass, east window by Kayll & Co, Leeds,
1904. Photographs of the 1895-8 restoration in the vestry, show that almost all
of the chancel was taken down and rebuilt.


Listing NGR: NY2296057329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.