History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Glassonby, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7379 / 54°44'16"N

Longitude: -2.6626 / 2°39'45"W

OS Eastings: 357435

OS Northings: 538308

OS Grid: NY574383

Mapcode National: GBR 9FVN.CC

Mapcode Global: WH924.25CN

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73449

Location: Glassonby, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Glassonby

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Addingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Lazonby

Listing Text

NY 57450 38310 GLASSONBY ADDINGHAM
NY 53 NE

10/20 Church of St Michael
27.12.67
G.V. II*

Church, replacing earlier church now beneath the River Eden. Probably early
C16, incorporating earlier features, with alterations 1786 and 1898. Large
blocks of coursed red sandstone rubble, graduated green slate roof with coped
gables and kneelers. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Nave had north door filled in
1786 when west porch was built; replaced by present south porch after 1840.
West twin bellcote with C18 and C19 bells. Double round head lancet windows,
one replacing earlier window. Chancel has south door with round head with
hollow chamfered surround. 2-light trefoil head windows with hood moulds and
similar 3-light east window. 2-storey north vestry has similar window. East
wall has inscribed stone with illegible inscription, dated 1702. Interior has
wood and plaster C19 rib vaulted nave ceiling; chancel has C19 barrel vaulted
wooden ceiling. Stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1900. Piscina may
be reused from earlier church. C19 and C20 wall plaques, one heraldic to Edwin
Rowley, 1888. Hog back stone, C9 decorated cross shaft in 2 pieces and incised
grave slab, all in porch, were dredged from river on the site of the earlier
church. See, Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological
Society, new series, xiii, p.162-6; xiv, p.328-336.


Listing NGR: NY5743538308

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.