History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoff Row Adjoining Stable and Addition to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoff, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5519 / 54°33'6"N

Longitude: -2.5103 / 2°30'36"W

OS Eastings: 367092

OS Northings: 517520

OS Grid: NY670175

Mapcode National: GBR BHXT.B2

Mapcode Global: WH92Z.DVVB

Entry Name: Hoff Row Adjoining Stable and Addition to South

Listing Date: 12 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144897

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73277

Location: Hoff, Eden, Cumbria, CA16

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Hoff

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Appleby St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Colby

Listing Text

NY 61 NE BANDLEYSIDE HOFF ROW


8/39 Hoff Row adjoining
stable and addition to
south
II

Farmhouse, C16 to C19. Coursed, squared rubble with quoins. Graduated slate
roof with brick mid and end chimneys to stone ridge; stair outshut to centre
rear. Central section possibly late C16/early C17; 2-storey, 4-bay gable entry
plan (jambs to original door survive in original north wall). Each floor
had a small fire window to left and 4 two-light mullioned windows, with
continuous hoodmould to lower windows; 3 lower and 2 upper openings have had C19
sashes inserted, all others, except ground floor fire, are blocked.
Cross-passage to kitchen extension on north has plank door with moulded jambs
and initialled and dated lintel ("I & S.H. 1695"); originally 2 two-light
windows to each floor and fire window above door. The 2 lower windows retain
hoodmoulds but mullions were removed in C20 when reglazed; single C19 sash
inserted in central upper opening, others blocked. Each floor at north gable
end has 2 small blocked windows to light recesses on either side of chimney
breast; kitchen fireplace (segmental arch) survives. In oldest part of building
2 spice cupboards survive, one original, other dated 1719; moulded and corniced
fireplace to 1st floor south. Single-storey C18 addition to north, 2-storey C18
addition under same roof to south. C20 lean-tos on south and east sides not
included.


Listing NGR: NY6709217520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.