This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5532 / 54°33'11"N
Longitude: -2.5284 / 2°31'42"W
OS Eastings: 365918
OS Northings: 517682
OS Grid: NY659176
Mapcode National: GBR BHSS.DK
Mapcode Global: WH92Z.4T79
Entry Name: Bank Barn to North West of Barwise Hall
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73279
Location: Hoff, Eden, Cumbria, CA16
Civil Parish: Hoff
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Appleby St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 61 NE BANDLEYSIDE
8/41 Bank barn to north-
6.2.68 west of Barwise Hall
Previously listed in Hoff Parish as 'Freestanding barn'.
Bank barn with byre below, dated 1681. Coursed, squared rubble with quoins
(massive plinth to south end). Corrugated asbestos roof to front, graduated
slate roof, with outshut over barn entry to rear; stone copings and kneelers.
Symmetrical front has steps (with parapets) up to central plank door; chamfered
jambs are continued onto initialled and dated lintel (R & E.D. 1681) as paired
semicircles. 2 plank doors with chamfered jambs and segmental heads to either
side at ground level; flight of steps at right-hand end lead up to ground level
on north side. Numerous ventilation slits and one (unglazed) chamfered 2-light
mullioned window to 1st floor right; blocked segmentally headed door with
chamfered jambs at same level in north wall. Large wagon door to rear has
chamfered jambs and segmental head; porch walls terminate as stepped buttresses
with drop down to ground level on right-hand side.
Listing NGR: NY6591817682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings