This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5558 / 54°33'20"N
Longitude: -2.7423 / 2°44'32"W
OS Eastings: 352088
OS Northings: 518093
OS Grid: NY520180
Mapcode National: GBR 9H9R.3N
Mapcode Global: WH81Q.VR99
Entry Name: Grange Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74480
Location: Bampton, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Bampton
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Bampton St Patrick
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BAMPTON BAMPTON GRANGE
NY 51 NW
12/79 Grange Farmhouse
Farmhouse now private house. Mid C17 with additions dated over entrance
T&MI 1703 (Jackson); late C18 additions and early C19 alterations. Painted
rendered walls on projecting stone plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with
stepped gables; original rendered stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with
left single-bay extension (probably originally a barn or stable) under common
roof and rear 2-storey, single-bay extension, forming overall L-shape. House
has 2 original C17 ground-floor windows, one retaining its chamfered stone
mullion. Other windows are sashes in C18 or C19 painted stone surrounds. Left
extension has cross passage with Tudor-arched doorway, the lintel inscribed.
Straight joint above right of doorway shows that this part is an extension.
Late C18 double sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds. Rear
outshut contained dairy with small casement window in plain reveal under drip-
stone; return wall of outshut has loft doorway reached by external stone steps.
Rear extension has sash and casement windows in C18 painted stone surrounds.
Interior has early C18 stone fireplace with flanking panelled cupboards that at
right dated and inscribed TM (J covered by plaster ceiling) 1704. Complete
beamed ceiling. Parts of C18 panelled partition survives. Some early C18
panelled doors. Exposed roof beams in upper floor. Reset early C18 panelled
screen in left extension. Rear C17 semicircular stone staircase, externally
covered by outshut and extension. Former dairy has stone slab shelves. A
panelled court cupboard of 1696 has been removed since 1936, see RCHM,
Listing NGR: NY5208818093
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings