This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5553 / 54°33'19"N
Longitude: -2.7412 / 2°44'28"W
OS Eastings: 352157
OS Northings: 518040
OS Grid: NY521180
Mapcode National: GBR 9H9R.BT
Mapcode Global: WH81Q.VRTP
Entry Name: Church of St Patrick
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74482
Location: Bampton, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Bampton
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Bampton St Patrick
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
In the entry for the following:-
NY 51 NW BAMPTON
Church of St Patrick
The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)
BAMPTON BAMPTON GRANGE
NY 51 NW
12/81 Church of St Patrick
Parish Church. 1726-28 on medieval site with 1804 restoration. Large blocks of
calciferous sandstone with V-jointed quoins, partly rendered, on chamfered
plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials, being
relaid in 1986. 7-bay with west square 3-storey tower/porch; 2-bay chancel.
Tower has west double plank doors and overlight in pilastered surround under
broken segmental pediment. 2-light round-headed windows and bell openings.
Nave has tall round-headed windows in stone surrounds with false keystones. At
the west end of both the north and south walls is a doorway, blocked on the
south. Chancel has similar windows and a triple round-headed east window. At
various points around the walls C18 gravestones have been set in. INTERIOR:
3-bay timber arcades of round arches of Tuscan columns. Barrel vaulted timber
roof. C18 panelled pulpit and pews containing earlier panels one dated 1684.
C18, C19 and C20 white marble wall plaques. Square C12 font bowl on C20 plinth,
the bowl inscribed: 'MW 1662'. One C19 figurative stained-glass window.
Chancel has C19 stained-glass east window by Ward and Hughes. C19 white marble
wall plaques to members of the Noble family. Early C18 turned-baluster
communion rails. Parish register records that the church was consecrated on
20 June 1728 by the Bishop of Carlisle. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp28-9.
Listing NGR: NY5215718040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings