History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Askham, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6076 / 54°36'27"N

Longitude: -2.7474 / 2°44'50"W

OS Eastings: 351818

OS Northings: 523856

OS Grid: NY518238

Mapcode National: GBR 9H75.Z3

Mapcode Global: WH81J.RGW3

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145271

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74406

Location: Askham, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Askham

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Askham with Lowther

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Askham

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-

ASKHAM
NZ 5023
NY5123

16/8
Church of St Peter
6.2.68
II

The grade shall be amended to read 11* (star)

------------------------------------

ASKHAM
NY 5023
NY 5123
16/8 Church of St Peter

6.2.68
GV II
Parish church. Dated over entrance 1832, by Sir Robert Smirke (who was also the
architect of the nearby Lowther Castle), incorporating features from the
medieval church on this site. Snecked calciferous sandstone ashlar with eaves
cornice and raised quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated green slate roof with
coped gables and cross finials. Square south-west tower, 4-bay nave/chancel
with north transept and south aisle. Tower has round-arched studded south door,
round-headed windows and round-headed twin bell openings. Nave has west studded
doors in pointed arch under 3-light window. Each side has round-headed
windows. 3-light east window. Interior has 4-bay Gothic-arched arcade. Rear
gallery, panelled pulpit and C19 panelled oak pews, the ends carved with Lowther
arms. Various C19 white marble wall plaques. Transept was the burial chapel of
the Sandford family of Askham Hall, hence C17 and C18 wall plaques to members of
that family. Stem and bowl font dated 1661. C19 creed and pater boards.


Listing NGR: NY5181823856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.