History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block East of Lowther Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lowther, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6073 / 54°36'26"N

Longitude: -2.74 / 2°44'24"W

OS Eastings: 352298

OS Northings: 523825

OS Grid: NY522238

Mapcode National: GBR 9H95.L5

Mapcode Global: WH81J.WGD9

Entry Name: Stable Block East of Lowther Castle

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145326

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74346

Location: Lowther, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Lowther

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Askham with Lowther

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Askham

Listing Text

NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER

12/138 Stable block east of
Lowther Castle
6.2.68

GV II*

Stables and Coach house adjoining Lowther Castle. 1806-9 by Sir Robert Smirke
for 1st Earl of Lonsdale. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with string courses and
battlemented parapets. Graduated greenslate roofs, partly hipped. Buildings on
3 sides of courtyard. Rear 2-storey, 7-bay coach house has ground-floor
segmental arches under 2-light stone-mullioned windows with hoodmoulds.
Battlemented parapet rises in centre with clock face and Lowther arms. Right
single-storey, 4-bay quadrant link and left similar 2-storey link, have central
segmental arch and sash windows under hoodmoulds. Left 2-storey, 9-bay stables
has 7 recessed bays with flanking rectangular battlemented turrets. Central
segmental arch and sash windows under hoodmoulds. Turrets have rounded-arched
windows. Right domestic/stable range is similar to the left range opposite, but
with angle turrets on projecting bays, that to right forming part of the return
wall of the castle facade. The Household Accounts of the Earl of Lonsdale in
the County Record Office, Carlisle, record payment on 30 June 1806, to William
Bayles & Co, of £10. 2s. 6d. "for removing 405 yards of earth previous to laying
foundations for new stables, coach houses, etc". Graded for group value with
Lowther Castle.


Listing NGR: NY5229823825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.