History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lowther, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6129 / 54°36'46"N

Longitude: -2.7462 / 2°44'46"W

OS Eastings: 351904

OS Northings: 524454

OS Grid: NY519244

Mapcode National: GBR 9H83.75

Mapcode Global: WH81J.S9GZ

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74350

Location: Lowther, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Lowther

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Askham with Lowther

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Askham

Listing Text

NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER

12/142 Church of St Michael
6.2.68

GV II*

Parish church. C12 and Cl3 with extensive late C17 rebuilding; C19 alterations
and additions. Partly-rendered sandstone rubble walls with eaves cornice and
raised red sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables.
4-bay nave with west porch and aisles; central square 3-storey tower with north
and south transepts; single-bay chancel. Nave is externally late C17 with
moulded-surround windows in aisles and in clerestory. C19 gabled stone porch.
Tower is partly medieval and in late C17 had a domed cupola, removed in C19 and
replaced by an extra storey and a battlemented parapet. C19 triple lancet
windows. Transepts are late C17, that to south with Lowther arms in pediment.
Line of original transept roof can be seen in tower wall above. Chancel has C17
priest's doorway and tall round-headed windows, 2 in east wall. North vestry.
Interior of porch has free-standing remains of 3 hog-back coffin lids and a
saxon cross shaft. Interior: north arcade has 3 C12 round piers with carved
capitals, supporting round arches. Similar round arches of south arcade are
supported by C13 octagonal piers. Font c.1686 inscribed TA. Various marble
wall plaques to members of the Lowther family and C20 heraldic stained glass in
south windows. Pointed tower arch. Hanoverian Royal Arms of the 3rd period
(1816-37) on gallery and pater boards above. In the south transept are
elaborate monuments to various members of the Lowther family: an alabaster
effigy of Sir Richard Lowther 1608, with accompanying wall-mounted heraldic
plaque; John Viscount Lowther 1700, marble effigy and wall plaque; elaborate
wall plaque of 2 busts with garlands and railed backdrop to John Lowther and
Lord Lowther 1675. More C19 and C20 marble and brass monuments and wall plaques
to members of the Lowther family in south transept and in chancel. Dado
panelling looks C17 but altar rail is C19 imitating C17. See RCHM, Westmorland,
1936, plates 13, 44, 96 and 138.


Listing NGR: NY5190424454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.