History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Orton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4695 / 54°28'10"N

Longitude: -2.5845 / 2°35'4"W

OS Eastings: 362214

OS Northings: 508395

OS Grid: NY622083

Mapcode National: GBR BJDR.8K

Mapcode Global: WH93B.8XJG

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145428

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74091

Location: Orton, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Orton

Built-Up Area: Orton

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Orton with Tebay All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Orton

Listing Text

ORTON B6260 (West side)
NY 60 NW
Orton
13/72 Church of All Saints
6.2.68

GV II*

Parish Church. Various dates from late C12. Chancel and north nave aisle
rebuilt during 1878 restoration by Paley & Austin. Nave and tower stone blocks
on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses; chancel ashlar. Shallow-pitch lead
roof over nave and south aisle; graduated slate roofs to north aisle and
chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave, aisleless chancel. Early C16 three-stage
castellated tower. Gabled porch in 1st nave bay on south side is dated 1607.
Nave aisle windows all 3 segment-headed lights under hoodmoulds with labels
(south aisle windows are early C16). Parapet. Lancet windows to chancel.
Interior: Arcades of squat, wide pointed arches; late C12 pier and respond in
east bay of south arcade formed part of original crossing. Late C15/early C16
roof timbers to nave and aisles. Octagonal stone font dated 1662 with initials
D.W. & M.O. Piscina in trefoil-arched recess at east end of south aisle. 1695
Royal Arms painted on panel over entrance. 3 bells on frame in north aisle, one
cast c.1530 by John Woolley of Nottingham, others dated 1637. Good C19 glass.

For dated plan and detailed architectural description see 1936 R.C.H.M.
Westmorland


Listing NGR: NY6221408395

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.