This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6679 / 54°40'4"N
Longitude: -2.876 / 2°52'33"W
OS Eastings: 343596
OS Northings: 530665
OS Grid: NY435306
Mapcode National: GBR 8GCG.4G
Mapcode Global: WH812.SXNW
Entry Name: Layton Manor House
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Last Amended: 24 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73814
Location: Greystoke, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Greystoke
Built-Up Area: Greystoke
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Greystoke
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 43 SW
BERRIER ROAD (South side) Greystoke
Layton Manor House (formerly listed as Leighton Manor House)
Probably late C16 with C19 alterations and additions. Thick walls of large
blocks of red sandstone rubble; graduated greenslate roof with ashlar chimney
stacks. 2 storeys, 2 bays with right-angled 2-bay extension of common roof
line, and lower left C19 2-storey, 2-bay extension forming overall L-shape.
Doorway in re-entrant angle has plank door in broad chamfered surround under
reused carved coat-of-arms of the Layton family of Dalemain, dated 1649 (thought
to have been brought here in the C19 from Dalemain). Main body of the house and
contemporary extension have 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows under
hoodmoulds, and 3 small firewindows, 2 of them blocked. Gable wall at front has
blocked doorway under 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned window. Right return
has sash windows in C19 surrounds. C19 extension has 2-light windows under
hoodmoulds. Left return has Tudor-arched stone porch. Interior has broad
segmental-arched stone fireplace. This house belonged to the Halton family
until sold to the Duke of Norfolk in 1785, who in turn sold it to the Hasell
family of Dalemain. Known as Greystoke Mid-Farm in the C19. See, M.W. Taylor,
The Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland, 1892, pp.310-11;
Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new
series, xliv, pp.93-8. Although referred to as a Manor House this building
seems to have never served that role.
Listing NGR: NY4359830674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings