This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.632 / 54°37'55"N
Longitude: -2.8379 / 2°50'16"W
OS Eastings: 346007
OS Northings: 526643
OS Grid: NY460266
Mapcode National: GBR 8GMW.DB
Mapcode Global: WH819.CTVW
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73747
Location: Dacre, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Dacre
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dacre St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 42 NE DACRE DACRE
16/25 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. C12 with C13 additions,and restorations of 1810 and 1875. Red
sandstone rubble walls with string course, the aisles of longer blocks of pink
sandstone with buttresses and C19 red sandstone battlemented parapets.
Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3-storey square
west tower; 3-bay nave with aisles; 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower has
inscription over entrance STEEPLE REBUILT 1810 (with names of churchwardens).
Over the west door is the reused head of a C13 2-light small window. 2-light
bell openings under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 2-light
clerestory windows. South aisle has C13 doorway at left, the engaged columns
removed and stonework above showing porch recess. C19 restored segmental-
headed 2-light windows. North aisle has blocked C13 doorway and C19 restored
2-light windows. Chancel retains all of its C12 narrow round-headed windows and
priest's doorway; one C13 inserted window. C19 3-light east window. C19 vestry
has reused medieval stonework in tracery of its 2-light window. Interior has
plain C12 round-headed tower arch. 4-bay aisles have pointed arches on
octagonal and round piers. C17 open timber roof. Aisles have various C19 brass
and white marble wall plaques. Door lock on C19 south door is inscribed and
dated AP 1671 (given by Anne, Countess of Pembroke). C19 chancel arch. On a
window sill is a fragment of a zigzag arch stone, probably from the original
chancel arch. Chancel has C12 piscina. C18 and C19 wall plaques to members of
the Hasell family of Dalemain; one to Edward Hasell by Chantrey 1830, a mourning
female figure beside an urn. Red sandstone effigy of a knight, thought to be
one of the Lords Dacre of nearby Dacre Castle. Step to vestry is reused
medieval graveslab. Fragments of C9 and C10 carved cross shafts, are thought to
have come from the nearby monastery mentioned by Bede and excavated 1982-85.
C19 and C20 stained glass, some by Clayton and Bell. Late C17 altar rail on
twisted balusters. See Phillipa J.F. Smith, A Short History of Dacre Parish
Listing NGR: NY4600226638
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings