History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Helsington Laithes Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3095 / 54°18'34"N

Longitude: -2.7604 / 2°45'37"W

OS Eastings: 350622

OS Northings: 490700

OS Grid: SD506907

Mapcode National: GBR 9L5L.5X

Mapcode Global: WH82W.KYQ4

Entry Name: Helsington Laithes Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 April 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75342

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Underbarrow with Helsington

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kendal

Listing Text

SD 59 SW (INSET) KENDAL A6 (North side)


2/1 Helsington Laithes
farmhouse
24-4-51

G.V. II*

Manor House. Late C15/early C16. Partly rebuilt/extended c1690 for Colonel J.
Graham. Wet-dashed rubble on plinth. Graduated slate roofs with projecting
eaves. Diagonally-set rendered chimneys. Mainly 2 storeys with attics.
Asymmetrical plan. Western block is oldest surviving part. Central block and
eastern cross-wing added; plaster wall panel (originally on ceiling?) gives
initials I. & A.B. (for James & Agnes Bellingham?) and date 1538 but details are
identical to late C16 plasterwork at Levens Hall and date should probably read
1583. Symmetrical 4-bay east elevation has part-glazed central door with
mullioned and transomed 3-light window, under hoodmould, to either side; four
3-light windows above. Windows throughout probably C19 (with majority of
decorative leading replaced in C20) except for 2 original stone-mullioned
windows to south elevation of western block: Ground floor window has 2
segment-headed lights, 1st floor window has 3 ogee-headed lights under
hoodmould. Interior mainly C19 with some earlier studded plank doors and a C17
closed-string staircase with turned balusters, square newels, and moulded
handrail.


Listing NGR: SD5062290700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.