History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Brow House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2033 / 54°12'11"N

Longitude: -2.5955 / 2°35'43"W

OS Eastings: 361253

OS Northings: 478775

OS Grid: SD612787

Mapcode National: GBR BM9V.W0

Mapcode Global: WH94P.3MB2

Entry Name: Mill Brow House

Listing Date: 22 March 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75230

Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale

Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

MILL BROW
1.
5166 (south side)
Mill Brow House
SD 6178 NW 5/116
II GV

2.
1811. Former workhouse. Three storeys and basement. Squared watershot rubble.
Slate roof. Three chimneys. Quoins. Plinth. Four windows with sills and plain
reveals. Those to second floor retain iron casements, the rest reglazed. Doorway
with plain stone surround. Modern door.
Attached at rear (ie on Mill Brow) is former mill, entered through door on first
landing of workhouse. Two storeys at upper end and three at lower. Square coursed
rubble. Slate roof. Quoins. Large segmental headed doorway and similar window over.
Plank door of two-leaves with fanlight with all glazing bars.
Interior of workhouse. Four flight dogleg stair with stone treads. Ground and first
floors partitioned, probably in C19. Second floor retains floor of large stone flags
and rooms opening off spinal corridor.
Built in 1811 as a workhouse, condemned by the Poor Law Commissioners. A Hostel
in 1910. Now flats.


Listing NGR: SD6125378775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.