History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Gasworks, Chain Shop, Foundry and Canal Workshops

A Grade II Listed Building in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2886 / 53°17'18"N

Longitude: -2.8918 / 2°53'30"W

OS Eastings: 340643

OS Northings: 377213

OS Grid: SJ406772

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z7D.QV

Mapcode Global: WH87V.KL4S

Entry Name: Former Gasworks, Chain Shop, Foundry and Canal Workshops

Listing Date: 12 September 1978

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145858

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56282

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH65

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Rossmore

Built-Up Area: Ellesmere Port

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere Port Team

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Ellesmere Port

Listing Text

ELLESMERE PORT & NESTON DOCK STREET
SJ 4077
7/21 Former Gasworks, Chain
Shop, Foundry and Canal
12.9.78 Workshops (formerly
listed as Old Gas Works,
Chain Shop and Work
Shop)
GV II
Part of former gasworks (1863) and chain shop, foundry and workshops (c.1895)
form a long roughly L-shaped building. GASWORKS: (North West Wing) is of one
tall storey, 7 bays on outer (north) face, 4 within. Red brick recessed panels
with blue brick surrounds, each panel containing a round or camber-arched
window. Slate roof with stone-capped end gables. Large square chimney from
eaves level at north corner. CHAIN SHOP AND FOUNDRY: (North Part of Southern
Wing). Red-brown brick walls and slate roof with rooflights and slate-roofed
wooden louvred ventilator along ridge. Weather-boarded north-east wall to
chain shop. Small cast-iron windows under 2 course camber-arches of brick
headers. Boarded access doors face slipway (north east). 8 chimneys over
forges (which, with foundry implements, survive in building). Through passage
south of chain shop to slipway. TWO-STOREY WORKSHOPS: (South Part of Southern
Wing). Red-brown brick walls and slate roof with end gables and continuous
rooflights. 2 square brick chimneys on ridge. External wooden staircase
(north east side) leading to access balconies, on iron brackets, to upper floor.
Floors and roof step down (from south to north) to accommodate slope of site.
Small-pane cast-iron windows to north-east side of lower storey. Boarded load-
ing doors to lower storey, north-east side, and to both storeys (with small
loading balcony) in south gable.


Listing NGR: SJ4064377213

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.