This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7519 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -1.2564 / 1°15'23"W
OS Eastings: 451425
OS Northings: 206168
OS Grid: SP514061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.165
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.57MC
Entry Name: Kemp Hall
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245538
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. HIGH STREET
SP 5106 SW 8/343 12.1.54.
RCHM 78. House lying to the South end at the back of No 130 High Street.
Built by Alderman William Boswell in 1637 and is "one of the best preserved,
least altered of the sub-medieval buildings in oxford". It received a certain
restoration in 1930. It is a "passage" type of house in a long rectangular
plan with axis North and South and faces East. 2-storeyed plastered timber-framing
with cellars and 5 attic gables, corresponding to to 5 bays, the West wall
is of stone and contains the stacks and has 4 gables. The East elevation
has a stone plinth in which are the cellar windows; in the ground floor is
a wood-framed doorway with moulded jambs and a 4-centred head in the spandrels
of which is the date 1637; over it is an elaborate hood with moulded pendants;
3 original window-frames of 2 and 3 lights each remain, having moulded moulded
mullions. There is an overhang at the 1st and 2nd floors. In the 1st floor
are 5 scroll-bracketed oriels having moulded frames and mullions; the two
oriels on the North have been altered and joined into one. In the gables
are 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows, the one in the centregablebeing
boxed out. There is a tiled and Welsh slate roof.
Interior. RCHM page 166. Includes original fireplaces and doorways and
an original staircase. For plans, sections and elevations see Antiq. Jnl.
(1947), page 131 and figure 11. History. Alderman Boswell lived in No 130
and built this house in his garden. It was once used as the Police Station
All the listed buildings on the South Side from a group.
Listing NGR: SP5142506168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings