This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2436 / 53°14'37"N
Longitude: -2.8239 / 2°49'25"W
OS Eastings: 345117
OS Northings: 372162
OS Grid: SJ451721
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZQX.FY
Mapcode Global: WH882.LQJQ
Entry Name: Trafford Hall with Attached Service Wing and Carriage House
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Last Amended: 20 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55438
Location: Wimbolds Trafford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Mickle Trafford and District
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton-le-Moors with Ince and Elton
Church of England Diocese: Chester
WIMBOLDS TRAFFORD C.P.
INCE LANE (East Side)
Trafford Hall with attached service wing and carriage house
(Formerly listed as Wimbolds Trafford Hall)
House. 1756 with added side wings and at rear. Brown brick, in
Flemish bond, slate roofs, stone dressings, 3 storeys with cellars.
5 windows, with central bay projecting forward slightly. Sashes
with glazing bars have stone cills and splayed heads with rusticated
voussoirs and projecting keystones. Central Doric tetrastyle porch.
Double doors, panelled, part glazed below rectangular fan with
semicircular glazing bars, in shouldered doorcase. Brick parapet
has stone piers at the angles of the centre bay. Moulded cornice
across front and turning round corners. Moulded stone plinth,
rusticated quoins. Right hand side has 1st floor Venetian window
and 2nd floor Diocletian window, between blank windows with similar
dressings. At left hand side is 2 storey service wing, behind brick
wall with rusticated stone gate piers with flat stone coping and
pyramidal capping. Similar single pier on wall to right of house.
Attached to service wing is former carriage house possibly incorporating
earlier kitchens. Brown brick, hipped slate roof, rusticated stone
quoins. House has iron downspouts and rainwater heads, dated 1756.
Interior. Doors of 6 raised and fielded panels in lugged doorcases,
which in hall have plain frieze and flat cornice, and inside rooms
are pedimented. 1st floor doorcase has imbricated frieze and egg
and dart mouldings on architrave. Doorcase with semicircular fan
opposite Venetian window. Dining room walls have large bolection
panel. Panelled dado in former library and at 1st floor. Fireplaces
mostly original, one has Ionic pilasters. Some overmantels. Attic
room has fireplace and overmantel with raised and fielded planels
between panelled pilasters and raised and fielded panelled cupboards.
Moulded cornices, panelled shutters. Open string stair has 3 turned
and twisted balusters per tread, turned newels, moulded rail and
curtail, floral brackets.
Pevsner and Hubbard. Ormerod, G., History of the County Palatine
and City of Chester 2nd ed. London (1882).
Listing NGR: SJ4511772162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings