This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2388 / 53°14'19"N
Longitude: -2.9952 / 2°59'42"W
OS Eastings: 333679
OS Northings: 371772
OS Grid: SJ336717
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZJZ.CP
Mapcode Global: WH87Z.YVXF
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55688
Location: Shotwick, Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Puddington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Shotwick St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 37 SW SHOTWICK C.P. THE VILLAGE
3/42 Church of St Michael.
Church: late C11 door, body of church C14, late Perpendicular tower,
south porch and some fenestration of C17. Restoration in 1851.
Ashlar red sandstone, with purple tile roof except for Welsh slated
chancel and porch. 3-bay nave and 3-bay lower chancel, 6-bay north
aisle and chapel in one range, 3-stage west tower and a south porch.
Simple gabled porch has 2-light stone-mullioned window in one side and
contains stone benches and line of knife sharpening slots. Norman
south door has scalloped capitals but no shafts with a band of zigzag
above a band of chequerwork. Early post-medieval studded oak door
with 4 vertical rails and long iron strap hinges. 3-light chamfered
stone-mullioned windows in nave, chancel has buttresses and simple
chamfered 2-centred arched priest's door and mullioned windows with
cusped lights. 3-light east windows to chancel and aisle chapel with
reticulated tracery and label moulds. Some late Perpendicular
openings in north aisle. Tower has diagonal buttresses and bands at
1st and 2nd floor with carved faces. 3-light west window and louvred
bell openings. Band with gargoyles carries embattled parapet.
Interior: 4-bay arcade to north aisle with double-chamfered 2-centred
arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Arch-braced collar
roof sprung from wooden brackets. Tall tower arch on semi-octagonal
responds. Wooden chancel arch on C19 stone angel corbels. Chancel
has heavy 2-bay arcade to aisle chapel with chamfering running down
the plain piers. Early C18 turned-baluster communion rail. Oak box
pews throughout with fielded panels. 2 larger family pews in north
aisle where there is a C18 raised pulpit with reader's desk in front.
To rear of aisle is a churchwardens' pew with panelled lower portion
with reeded rails dated 1675 and the hood on tall turned balusters
dated 1709. Small amount of C14 stained glass survives in the tracery
of the east window of chancel and aisle chapel and west window of the
Listing NGR: SJ3368171773
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings