History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Quaker Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Sockbridge, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6327 / 54°37'57"N

Longitude: -2.7744 / 2°46'27"W

OS Eastings: 350106

OS Northings: 526667

OS Grid: NY501266

Mapcode National: GBR 9G2W.43

Mapcode Global: WH81B.CT2D

Entry Name: Quaker Cottage

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Last Amended: 31 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145985

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74580

Location: Sockbridge and Tirril, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Sockbridge and Tirril

Built-Up Area: Sockbridge

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Keldhead

Listing Text

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/02/2017


NY 5026,
15/178

SOCKBRIDGE AND TIRRIL,
Tirril,
Off B5320 (north side),
Quaker Cottage

(Previously listed as located on the A592)

(formerly listed as Old Meeting House)

06.02.68

II

Quaker Meeting House now private house. 1731 but dated 1733 over entrance.
Painted roughcast walls, under graduated greenslate roof with painted roughcast
chimney stack. Single storey, three bays. Off-centre gabled stone porch with plain
boarded door in painted stone surround. Sash windows with glazing bars in
painted stone surrounds, the centre window a larger casement; some surrounds
retain their shutter hinge brackets. INTERIOR: has its original panelled
partition.

See D. Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties (1978),
pp. 90-3, where he says the Meeting House was first used 3 February 1731 and
suggests the porch was added two years later and hence the date over the
entrance. Rear outshut is not of interest.


Listing NGR: NY5010626667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.