This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0797 / 51°4'46"N
Longitude: -2.0991 / 2°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 393151
OS Northings: 131153
OS Grid: ST931311
Mapcode National: GBR 2Y5.B3K
Mapcode Global: FRA 66H8.G1H
Entry Name: Fonthill Gifford
Listing Date: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321040
Location: Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Tisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
TISBURY HINDON LANE
ST 93 SW (east side)
1/250 No 74 Fonthill Gifford
Estate cottage. 1862 for Alfred Morrison. Dressed limestone to
ground floor with timber-framing to first floor, thatched gabled
roof with diagonally-set or square brick stacks. Single storey and
attic, 1 window, to north. Entrance to left return with half-
glazed door, 2-light mullioned casement and projecting bread oven
to left, jettied upper floor has 3-light leaded casement, partly
tile-hung. Front has 4-light leaded casement to left, 2-storey
stone and timber-framed bay to right has mullioned leaded casement
to ground floor and wooden casement to first floor, external stone
stack to right has stone tablet with initials AM and date 1862.
Cross wing to right has 3-light mullioned casement to ground floor,
right return has tile-hung gablet and single chamfered casements to
ground floor of main range.
Interior has blocked open fireplace. Included as a good early
example of Vernacular Revival in estate building; the style
strongly suggests that this may be by G. Devey.
Listing NGR: ST9315131153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings