History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dairy in Temple Gardens to West of Wardour Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Tisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0422 / 51°2'31"N

Longitude: -2.1052 / 2°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 392718

OS Northings: 126984

OS Grid: ST927269

Mapcode National: GBR 2YK.NKL

Mapcode Global: FRA 66GC.KMT

Entry Name: Dairy in Temple Gardens to West of Wardour Castle

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321063

Location: Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Tisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tisbury

Listing Text

TISBURY WARDOUR PARK
ST 92 NW (north side)

4/273 Dairy in Temple Gardens to
west of Wardour Castle

GV II

Ornamental dairy. Dated 1794 on rainwater head. Limestone ashlar
with domed lead roof. Circular, with semi-circular west portico of
four egg and dart unfluted columns, fluted frieze with paterae to
Doric entablature, and parapet. Right return has lead rainwater
head with date 1794. Rear has semi-circular projection to centre
with oculus. Circular interior of portico has double 8-panelled
doors and semi-circular niche either side. Interior not accessible
at time of survey (January 1986), but said to have stone bench
around walls, formerly lined with tiles, octagonal lantern to
centre of domed roof. Part of the informal garden layout around
Wardour Castle, the detail is very similar to the house and
suggests that it may have been designed by Paine or by Soane who
worked on the chapel, 1789-90.


Listing NGR: ST9271226986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.