History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Camellia House and Garden Walls, at Wardour Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0436 / 51°2'36"N

Longitude: -2.1025 / 2°6'8"W

OS Eastings: 392910

OS Northings: 127138

OS Grid: ST929271

Mapcode National: GBR 2YK.H8B

Mapcode Global: FRA 66HC.6QH

Entry Name: Camellia House and Garden Walls, at Wardour Castle

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146006

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321065

Location: Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Tisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tisbury

Listing Text

TISBURY WARDOUR PARK
ST 92 NW (north side)

4/275 Camellia House and garden walls,
at Wardour Castle (formerly listed
at Kitchen Garden Walls and
6.1.66 Orangery)

GV II*

Camellia house with walls enclosing a large rectangular garden to
south and smaller semi-circular garden to north. 1769 by Richard
Woods for Eighth Lord Arundell. Limestone ashlar Camellia House
has glazed roof, 5-bay front has central steel French windows with
fanlight and two similar steel windows with fanlights either side,
impost band, modillioned cornice to parapet and pediment over
centre three bays. Brick stack attached to right return, brick
walls to rear. Contains six mature camellias, reputed to be among
the earliest specimens introduced to England from the East.
Camellia House built to centre of wall between two enclosures;
north garden has rat-trap bond brick walls with heating flues to
either side and to north of Camellia House, rest of this garden
enclosed by Flemish, English or stretcher bond brick walls, about 4
metres high and with round-arched stone gateways with keystones and
imposts. South garden enclosed by Flemish bond brick walls, about
2.5 metres high. Although the camellias survive, the rest of the
gardens now subject to new uses; mid C20 house built in north-east
corner of north enclosure and swimming pool in west half of south
enclosure.
(Unpublished research by Mrs. F. Cowell on Woods, to be published
in the Journal of the Garden History Society)

Listing NGR: ST9291027067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.