History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chicksgrove Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton Mandeville, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0696 / 51°4'10"N

Longitude: -2.0437 / 2°2'37"W

OS Eastings: 397037

OS Northings: 130026

OS Grid: ST970300

Mapcode National: GBR 2Y8.S5Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 66L9.CN1

Entry Name: Chicksgrove Manor

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320986

Location: Sutton Mandeville, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sutton Mandeville

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tisbury

Listing Text

TISBURY CHICKSGROVE ROAD
ST 93 SE (north side), Lower Chicksgrove

2/197 Chicksgrove Manor
6.1.66
GV II*

Manor house. Late C14, altered late C16, C17 and C19. Rubble
stone, thatched roof, brick stone stacks. Four-bay hall house with
former 3-bay open hall, through passage to rear of inserted stack,
solar wing rebuilt in C17 at east end, services rebuilt C19 at west
end. Single-storey and attic, 3 windows. Two-storey early C17
porch to left of centre with stone Tudor-arched opening to front
and moulded Tudor-arched doorway and planked door to through
passage, upper floor on moulded wooden brackets, stone sundial and
2-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould. To left of porch
is 4-light ovolo-mullioned casements, 3-light ovolo-mullioned
casement to right with hoodmould, attic has two full gabled dormers
with 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements, to right are small square
lights to ground and first floors. Wing to right has 3-light
ovolo-mullioned casement to ground floor and 2-light leaded
casement to first floor, pointed chamfered light to attic. Right
return of cross wing has 2-light and 3-light ovolo-mullioned
casements. Rear has blocked doorway with C20 mullioned casement to
right, 2-light, 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement and single
chamfered light to centre with Tudor-arched chamfered doorway to
rear of through passage and 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casement to right, attic has two 2-light ovolo-mullioned casements
to eyebrow dormers to left and one 2-light mullioned casement to
right, some of the mullioned windows are C20 renewals. To right is
C19 single-storey service wing with 2-light casements and planked
door with brick dressings, double Roman tiled roof.
Interior: Three-bay former open hall at west end of house retains
Medieval roof; two open trusses, the finer to the east is a deep
arch-braced cranked collar truss with chamfered braces and
chamfered runner at the apex of the collar, truss to the west
appears to be a raised cruck with cranked collar, closed third
truss to the east. Floor inserted during C16 with very deep
chamfered beams with stepped stops, plank and muntin partitions,
with mouldings on east side of through passage, matching doors or
planked doors with strap hinges, back passage has exposed chamfered
joists and Tudor-arched wooden chamfered doorway at solar end.
Open fireplaces inserted into hall with chamfered lintels with
rounded corners on chamfered stone jambs and bread ovens. Drawing
room in cross wing contains reset C17 wainscot panelling, deep
chamfered beam, fine overmantel to open fireplace has carved
pilasters with lions' heads and central lozenge with man's face.
First floor has stone chamfered fireplace surround, planked or
wainscot doors. Attached to front are low stone garden walls with
flat coping, three-step stone mounting block to front. A very fine
Wiltshire manor house retaining many features from different
periods of its development. Owned by the Davies family during C17,
John Davies was Attorney General of Ireland, 1603-1616.
(R. Colt Hoare, Modern History of Wiltshire, 1829)


Listing NGR: ST9703730026

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.