History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Zion Hill Chapel and Schoolroom

A Grade II Listed Building in Tisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0661 / 51°3'57"N

Longitude: -2.0811 / 2°4'51"W

OS Eastings: 394413

OS Northings: 129640

OS Grid: ST944296

Mapcode National: GBR 2YD.2PC

Mapcode Global: FRA 66J9.H1V

Entry Name: Zion Hill Chapel and Schoolroom

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321030

Location: Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Tisbury

Built-Up Area: Tisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tisbury

Listing Text

TISBURY HIGH STREET
ST 92 NW (west side)

4/240 Zion Hill Chapel and Schoolroom
6.1.66
GV II

Congregational chapel, now redundant. Dated 1726 on wrought iron
weathervane. Limestone ashlar, pyramidal tiled roof. Square.
Single storey, 2 windows. Central double panelled doors with semi-
circular fanlight in chamfered stone surround with keystone, arched
hood on brackets, cross window either side with round-arched
lights. Coved eaves cornice to steeply pitched roof, weathervane
at apex with two octagonal vents to rear. Right return has two
recessed chamfered mullioned casements. Left return has blocked
chamfered doorway and 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casements. Rear has two cross windows with square-headed lights.
Interior has gallery on south and east sides with fielded
panelling, pilasters and ramped moulded handrail to front, on cast
iron columns, 4-panelled doors and late Victorian fireplace
surround. Three black marble wall tablets to Rev John Morgan died
1796, to Rev William Moore died 1798 and to Rev John Rogers died
1815. The congregation of this chapel later built a larger chapel,
on Cuff's Lane (q.v.) in 1842.


Listing NGR: ST9441329640

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.