This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0949 / 51°5'41"N
Longitude: -2.1302 / 2°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 390980
OS Northings: 132856
OS Grid: ST909328
Mapcode National: GBR 1WM.885
Mapcode Global: FRA 66F7.7XW
Entry Name: The Grosvenor Arms, with Rear Stable Block
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146040
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320950
Location: Hindon, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Hindon
Built-Up Area: Hindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hindon with Chicklade and Pertwood St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
HINDON HIGH STREET
ST 9032/9132 (west side)
8/160 and 9/160 The Grosvenor Arms, with rear
Inn. Late C18. Rendered brick with chamfered rusticated quoins,
hipped tile roof, brick stacks. L-plan. Two-storey, 3-window.
Six-panelled door with flat wooden hood on brackets to left of
centre and C19 panelled door with transom light and pair of 12-pane
sashes to right and pair of 8-pane sashes to left. First floor has
12-pane sash to centre with pair of 12-pane sashes either side.
Rear has C19 canted bay to right, 2-storey wing to left with 3-
light casements and hipped roof. Attached to rear is long 2-storey
range of stables in dressed limestone with pantiled roof and six
planked doors, fixed windows and C20 garage doors, attached dressed
limestone garden wall has square gate piers with ball finials.
Interior has stairs with two turned balusters per tread, open
fireplace with brick segmental arch and bread ovens. Known as The
Angel until mid C19 when renamed the Grosvenor Arms after Lord
Grosvenor, later the Marquess of Westminster, acquired the Fonthill
Abbey estate and property in Hindon between c1825 and 1840.
(N. Sheard, The History of Hindon, 1979)
Listing NGR: ST9098032856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings