History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red Lion House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hindon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0949 / 51°5'41"N

Longitude: -2.1287 / 2°7'43"W

OS Eastings: 391080

OS Northings: 132846

OS Grid: ST910328

Mapcode National: GBR 1WM.8M5

Mapcode Global: FRA 66F7.8HR

Entry Name: Red Lion House

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 1 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320921

Location: Hindon, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hindon

Built-Up Area: Hindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hindon with Chicklade and Pertwood St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hindon

Listing Text

HINDON HIGH STREET
ST 9132 (east side)

9/131 Red Lion House
(Formerly known as Croylands)
6.1.66
GV II

House at end of row. Mid C18 and early C19. Rendered brick to
front, with chamfered rusticated quoins, English bond to return,
tiled hipped roof, brick stacks. Gable end to road. Two storey,
3-window road front has two 12-pane sashes to both floors and
moulded stone eaves cornice, to left is early C19 three-storey unit
with 12-pane sash to ground and first floor and 9-pane sash to
second floor. Right return has 6-panelled door in pilastered
porch, two 3-light casements, steel casement and 6-panelled door to
right. First floor has 2-light leaded casement with arched lights
to left, two 3-light casements and one steel casement to right,
brick dentilled eaves cornice. Hipped dormer to attic with 2-light
leaded casement. To right is garage with sashes to rear. Rear of
main range has 12-pane tripartite sash to early C19 bay, various
other sashes and C20 aluminium casements. Interior not accessible
at time of survey (December 1985). C18 part of house probably a
rebuilding following the fire of 1754. Was the Red Lion Inn in
C18, and later the vicarage up to 1932.
(N Sheard, The History of Hindon, 1979)


Listing NGR: ST9108032846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.