History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory, with Attached Walls and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0055 / 51°0'19"N

Longitude: -2.1595 / 2°9'34"W

OS Eastings: 388906

OS Northings: 122910

OS Grid: ST889229

Mapcode National: GBR 1XK.T0M

Mapcode Global: FRA 66CG.8HT

Entry Name: The Priory, with Attached Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320844

Location: Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire, SP7

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Donhead St. Mary

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Donhead St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shaftesbury

Listing Text

DONHEAD ST. MARY HIGHER COOMBE
ST 82 SE (west side)

6/58 The Priory, with attached walls
and railings
6.1.66
GV II

Detached house. Early C17, altered C20. Dressed limestone, tiled
roof with coped verges and gable end stone stacks. Two-storey and
attic, 3-window. Central blocked doorway with inserted mullioned
casement, 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement and early
C18 two-light mullioned casement to left. Moulded string course to
first floor; two 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned casements with
hoodmoulds. Three full gabled attic dormers with 2-light hollow-
chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, coped verges with
ball finials. Attached to right part of front is C20 two-storey
extension with flat roof. Left return has 2-light mullioned
casement. Rear has similar windows with four hipped attic dormers
with 2-light wooden casements. Interior not accessible at time of
survey (November 1985) but said to contain room with late C17
wainscot panelling. Attached to front are stone dwarf walls with
cast-iron railings and octagonal stone gate piers with ball
finials, cast-iron gate. Named after a priory of French Carthusian
monks who came to Coombe during the French Revolution.
(R. Colt Hoare, Modern History of Wiltshire, vol 4, 1829)


Listing NGR: ST8890622910

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.