History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wincombe Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0179 / 51°1'4"N

Longitude: -2.1689 / 2°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 388250

OS Northings: 124296

OS Grid: ST882242

Mapcode National: GBR 1XJ.4GW

Mapcode Global: FRA 66BF.BVX

Entry Name: Wincombe Park

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320860

Location: Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire, SP7

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Donhead St. Mary

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Donhead St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shaftesbury

Listing Text

DONHEAD ST. MARY WINCOMBE PARK
ST 82 SE (north side)

6/73 Wincombe Park

II

Country house. 1820s for John Gordon. Painted limestone ashlar,
Welsh slate hipped roof, stone stacks. Two-storey, 3-window east
front. Continuous glazed verandah on cast-iron posts with trellis
frieze, recessed centre bay with double half-glazed margin-pane
doors and side-lights to porch, margin-pane French windows to
flanking bays. First floor has three 2-light margin-pane,
casements, deep eaves to roof. Right return, garden front has
margin-pane French windows with side-lights to left and French
windows to right, first floor has three 2-light margin-pane
casements, to right is 2-storey, 3-bay service range with 6-pane
margin-pane sashes and half-glazed door with transom light, 6-pane
sashes with margin glazing to first floor. Rear has 25-pane and
20-pane sashes, lean-to brick extension. Left return has French
windows and 2-light casements, all with margin-panes, service
courtyard to left with 6-panelled doors and sashes.
Interior has entrance hall with 6-panelled doors with panelled
reveals, open-well stairs with cast-iron rod-balusters and wreathed
handrails. Main reception rooms have plaster ceiling cornices with
acanthus leaf mouldings, shuttered windows, plain marble
fireplaces. Set in wooded parkland with two lakes, said to be
fishponds of the Abbess of Shaftesbury, near the source of the
River Nadder.
(R. Colt Hoare, The Modern History of Wiltshire, Vol 4, 1829)


Listing NGR: ST8825024296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.