History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Donhead St. Andrew, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0229 / 51°1'22"N

Longitude: -2.1232 / 2°7'23"W

OS Eastings: 391456

OS Northings: 124839

OS Grid: ST914248

Mapcode National: GBR 1XD.XNS

Mapcode Global: FRA 66FD.YFN

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320793

Location: Donhead St. Andrew, Wiltshire, SP7

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Donhead St. Andrew

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Donhead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Ansty

Listing Text

DONHEAD ST. ANDREW ST. BARTHOLOMEWS STREET
ST 92 NW (east side)

4/10 Church of St. Andrew
6.1.66
GV II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C14 and C15, south aisle restored
1826, tower restored 1893, general restorations 1838 and 1875.
Dressed limestone, tiled roofs. Plan: nave with north and south
aisles, south porch, west tower, chancel and north vestry. Gabled
porch, probably C14, has diagonal buttresses, moulded pointed
doorway with hoodmould. South aisle is C15 with 4-light square-
headed windows with ogee lights and hoodmoulds, diagonal buttresses
to sides and string course to battlemented parapet, east window is
3-light pointed with hoodmould. Nave clerestory has three C19 two-
light square-headed windows, south side of nave to right of aisle
has tall C19 two-light pointed window. Chancel has 2-light square-
headed Perpendicular window to south and north sides, 5-light
Perpendicular window with hoodmould to east, diagonal buttresses
and battlemented parapet with saddleback coping. Flat-roofed
vestry has pointed east doorway and-2-light windows to north,
battlemented parapet. North aisle has two 3-light square-headed
restored C15 windows with hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet, nave
clerestory has three windows as south side. West ends of aisles
have C19 four-light Perpendicular windows. Three-stage west tower
has diagonal buttresses, string courses and polygonal stair turret
attached to north side, double-chamfered pointed west doorway with
3-light Perpendicular windows over, second stage has 2-light
mullioned window, bellstage has 2-light square-headed louvred
windows, moulded string course with gargoyles to battlemented
parapet with broken corner pinnacles.
Interior: porch has medieval floor tiles with star motif, collar-
rafter roof, double cyma-moulded Perpendicular doorway with C19
door. Nave has C19 4½-bay queen-post roof with cusping and arch-
braced collars to half-bays, 3-bay aisle C15 arcades with double
cyma-moulded arches on cavetto-moulded piers with attached shafts,
western responds with carved heads and angels holding shield of
Instruments of the Passion, the south one restored. C15 cyma-
moulded tower arch on C19 responds, north wall of tower contains
reset fragments of C14 and C15 tracery, chamfered pointed doorway
to stairs. C15 cyma-moulded chancel arch on attached shafts,
chancel has C19 three-bay hammer beam roof, C19 tiled floor by
Godwin. North vestry probably on site of former chapel is reached
from chancel through C12 round-arched opening, C19 arch from north
aisle with blocked pointed archway to right to former rood loft,
vestry contains arched aumbry. Fittings: C19 pews, limestone
cylindrical font and octagonal panelled wooden pulpit, wrought-iron
and brass candelabras, 1850s stained glass in chancel by W. Wailes,
east window of south aisle is c1890. Wall tablets include baroque
stone and marble tablet with composite columns and segmental
pediment with cartouche to John Gummage died 1690 and a classical
marble with skull to Matthew Bowles died 1737 in north aisle.
Marble in south aisle with Ionic pilasters to Richard Fezzard died
1713, large marble to John Cooke, Captain of HMS Bellepheron,
killed at Trafalgar in 1805. Bells include two of 1425 and 1713.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Building
News, 1857, 331.)


Listing NGR: ST9145624839

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.