History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Donhead House

A Grade II Listed Building in Donhead St. Andrew, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0228 / 51°1'22"N

Longitude: -2.1237 / 2°7'25"W

OS Eastings: 391417

OS Northings: 124836

OS Grid: ST914248

Mapcode National: GBR 1XD.XJX

Mapcode Global: FRA 66FD.Y5Y

Entry Name: Donhead House

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320796

Location: Donhead St. Andrew, Wiltshire, SP7

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Donhead St. Andrew

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Donhead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Ansty

Listing Text

DONHEAD ST. ANDREW ST. BARTHOLOMEWS STREET
ST 92 NW (west side)

4/13 Donhead House

GV II

Rectory, now training centre for Brewers' Society. Early C18,
altered 1892 for Horace Chapman, probably by C.E. Ponting, and
enlarged early C20, for James Pender. Dressed limestone, tiled
roof, ashlar stacks with moulded cappings. L-plan C18 house with
additions to north and east. Two-storey, 5-windowed C18 south-west
front has late C19 glazed door in projecting centre bay with Gibbs
surround and flat stone hood on consoles, either side is early C20
canted bay with plate glass sashes, first floor has two 12-pane
sashes in moulded architraves with keystones either side of central
round-arched sash with keystone and imposts to shouldered
architrave, open pediment over, wooden cornice with rosettes,
chanelled rusticated quoins, attic has three early C20 dormers with
casements. Coped verges to roof. Attached to left is late C19
range in similar style with 2-storey canted bay and sashes, French
windows with large shell hood, gabled attic to left. Right return
has external stack and blocked sashes, 1890s three-storey porch in
Elizabethan style with round-arched doorway and mullioned windows,
square bay to right with mullioned and transomed windows, first
floor has two 12-pane sashes, cast-iron rainwater heads dated
HC/1892. Left return of 1890s range has sashes in moulded
architraves, large stack with carved panel inscribed HC and AM,
attached to left is early C20 billiard room with loggia on south
sides. Rear 2-storey service wing with sashes, 1890s additions.
Interior: Some original C18 fittings including full fielded
panelling and door with 6 fielded panels and dentilled ceiling
cornice in south east drawing room. Dining room has reset C16
moulded cross-beams with rosettes and, cusped decoration, reset C17
panelling in corridors and 1890s range. 1890s open well stairs
top-lit by glazed lantern. House ceased to be rectory in 1891 when
Horace Chapman converted to private residence and built a new
rectory, Beauchamp House (q.v.) further up the hill. Anthony Eden
lived here for a year following the Suez Crisis of 1956.


Listing NGR: ST9141724836

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.