This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0847 / 51°5'5"N
Longitude: -1.9891 / 1°59'20"W
OS Eastings: 400858
OS Northings: 131713
OS Grid: SU008317
Mapcode National: GBR 2Y4.V8K
Mapcode Global: FRA 66Q8.2WR
Entry Name: Hydes House with Attached Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320749
Location: Dinton, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Dinton
Built-Up Area: Dinton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Dinton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 03 SW DINTON ST MARYS ROAD
1/163 Hydes House with attached
walls and gatepiers
Detached house. Early C18 rebuilding of earlier house on site.
Limestone ashlar and rubble stone with quoins, tiled hipped mansard
roof, stone stacks with moulded cappings. L-plan with rear
additions. Two-storey and attic, 1:3:1-window south front, centre
three break forward. Central double half-glazed doors with
pediment on engaged Ionic columns and pulvinated frieze, two 12-
pane sashes in moulded architraves with keystones either side.
Plat band to first floor: five sashes in moulded architraves with
keystones, modillioned cornice and pediment with oval light over
centre, two 6-pane sashes to flat-headed attic dormers. Right
return, now entrance front, has ledged door with integral transom
light and C20 flat wooden hood on brackets, 2-light recessed
chamfered mullioned casements to right; first floor has blocked
window and two sashes in moulded architraves, modillioned cornice,
three 6-pane sashes to attic dormers. Left return has sashes to
right and mullioned casement to basement, outshut to rear has
French windows, now the dining room and built as the billiard room,
early C20. Rear addition to right also early C20, central stair
projection has round-arched sash, modillioned cornice to steep
hipped roof, rear 2-storey integral wing to left has ledged door in
beaded segmental-headed architrave, 2-light mullioned casement to
rear, lean-to extension with slate roof.
Interior: Main reception rooms on south side have 6-panelled doors
in moulded architraves, bolection-moulded panelling, egg and dart
moulded cornices, window shutters; south east room has white
marble fireplace, south west room has bolection-moulded fireplace.
Rear entrance hall has some reset C17 wainscot panelling, some also
reset in kitchen doors and cupboards. Rubble stone wall with
pitched coping, between 2 and 4 metres high, runs from east side of
house to entrance gate piers: chamfered-rusticated piers on
moulded plinths, with ball finials, cast-iron C19 gate. House
restored in early C20 by Bertram Phillips and given to the National
Trust in 1943. Formerly the rectory and occupied by the Hyde
family; Edward Hyde was born here 1609 and became the first Earl
(Country-Life, December 17th, 1943)
Listing NGR: SU0085831713
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings