History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Teffont, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.08 / 51°4'47"N

Longitude: -2.0135 / 2°0'48"W

OS Eastings: 399151

OS Northings: 131186

OS Grid: ST991311

Mapcode National: GBR 2Y9.7R5

Mapcode Global: FRA 66N8.KD9

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 27 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146266

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320394

Location: Teffont, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Teffont

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Teffont Evias with Teffont Magna St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Teffont Magna

Listing Text

ST 93 SE TEFFONT TEFFONT EVIAS
(east side)

1/168 Church of St. Michael and
All Angels

6.1.66 (formerly listed as Church, dedication
unknown)

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C16, C17, rebuilt 1824-26 by Charles
Fowler for John Mayne of Teffont Manor (q.v.). Rubble stone, Welsh
slate roof, fishscale tiles to aisle and chapel. Consists of nave,
C19 north aisle, north west tower with spire, chancel, north chapel
of 1630, south vestry, south porch. Gabled C19 porch has pointed
doorway with square hoodmould, heraldic arms of Maynes and date
1824, saddleback coped verges with kneelers and pinnacles. South
side of nave has 2-light pointed window with Y-tracery either side
of porch, diagonal buttresses and coped verges with pinnacles.
Gabled south vestry of 1824 has 2-light Perpendicular-style window,
coped verges to roof. Chancel has pointed priests door with
hoodmould, offset buttresses, east end has 3-light pointed window
with hoodmould with carved head terminals, battlemented parapet.
North Ley chapel has two 3-light Perpendicular windows with
hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet with lead initials ML/1630
(Matthew Ley) and stone griffins holding shields. North aisle has
three 2-light Perpendicular-style windows with scrolled terminals
to hoodmoulds. Three-stage north west tower has setback buttresses
and string courses, first stage has hollow-chamfered west doorway
and 2-light window to south, second stage has pointed window with
quatrefoil pierced louvres, bellstage has pair of pointed windows
with quatrefoil-pierced louvres, parapet with quatrefoils and
corner spirelets, recessed spire with 2-light gablet to each face.
Three-sided stair turret with loopholes in south-west angle. West
end of nave has 3-light geometric-style window recessed between
buttresses of former belfrey, wheel window over.
Interior: Double-chamfered inner doorway with blind quatrefoil
over, reset C17 and C18 tablets to Davis family in porch. Nave has
rib-panelled pointed barrel vaulted ceiling with foliated bosses,
flagstone floors, tall pointed west arch with C17 mouldings. Four-
bay north aisle has tall pointed arcade on Perpendicular-moulded
piers, C19 arch-braced collar roof. Tall pointed chancel arch and
arch to Ley Chapel have similar mouldings to arcade. Chancel has
similar ceiling to nave, two arches to chapel, two pointed doorways
in south wall. Chapel has 3-bay arch-braced collar roof,
polychrome tiled floor, C17 panelled partition and gate with cock's
head hinges to north aisle, contains good group of tombs with
effigies; Henry Ley died 1574 and sons Matthew died 1632 and
William died 1624, semi-circular sgraffito panel on east wall by de
Triqueti, 1863, marble tablet to Maynes by F. Brown, 1770, slate
and stone tablet with arms to Henry Ley, died 1574. Early C19
reredos with blind arcading, pulpit and reader's desk in same
style, C17-style bench ends to nave pews, early C19 box pews to
sides. Hanoverian arms over south door by J.G. Bubb, 1820. Glass
contains reset Medieval glass with C17 pictorial roundels;
assembled 1950s.
(N, Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Parish
Guide, 1975.)


Listing NGR: ST9913631187

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.