This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0504 / 53°3'1"N
Longitude: -1.6882 / 1°41'17"W
OS Eastings: 420998
OS Northings: 350395
OS Grid: SK209503
Mapcode National: GBR 59Q.L10
Mapcode Global: WHCF0.1LCB
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80128
Location: Kniveton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Kniveton
Built-Up Area: Kniveton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Kniveton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 25 SW PARISH OF KNIVETON MAIN STREET
2/75 (East Side)
13.9.67 Church of St Michael
Church. C12, 13, c1663, restoration 1870, vestry added 1907. Coursed rubble
gritstone with ashlar dressings. Shallow pitched lead roof with stone coped
gables at east and west end and over chancel arch. Nave and chancel, vestry,
west tower and south porch. Plain C12 south doorway with chamfered imposts.
Label with two stops, keystone depiting a bear. West tower, late C13 with small
lancet window and plain chambered door to nave. String course at first floor.
Square-headed 2-light bell openings, battlements and short spire are perp or later.
North and south walls of church with irregular fenestration - all windows square headed,
some without divisions others with chamberred mullions. The lights in one north
window have segmental heads. All probably mid C17. C19 chancel east window with
perp style tracery. C13 font with circular bowl with pointed trefoils supported
on a base of clustered columns. The date 1663 apparently refers to time of its
restoration to the church. It might also be the date when the windows were renewed.
West gallery early C19 on two cast iron columns. C19 poppy heads on benches. On
nave north wall an aedicule wall monument to Greenwood Holmes 1779. Four C19
stained glass windows. Nave south, easternaost c1908 by Jones and Willis. Nave
south, westernmost 1888. Nave north windows, three lights, 1908. Three light
east window 1879.
Listing NGR: SK2099850395
Other nearby listed buildings