This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8402 / 50°50'24"N
Longitude: -3.2268 / 3°13'36"W
OS Eastings: 313715
OS Northings: 105240
OS Grid: ST137052
Mapcode National: GBR LW.W6BX
Mapcode Global: FRA 464W.6Q6
Entry Name: Wolford Chapel
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86591
Location: Dunkeswell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Dunkeswell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dunkeswell St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 NW
5/36 Wolford Chapel
Chapel belonging to Canada. 1800, built by Leiutenant General John Graves Simcoe,
restored circa 1966. Local stone rubble with limestone ashlar detail; slate roof.
Plan: small chapel is rectangular in plan with the entrance in the west end.
Exterior: both long sides (north and south) have 2-window fronts of square-headed
single light windows containing Decorated tracery. In the west end the doorway is a
2-centred arch with hoodmould and directly above is a quatrefoil oculus. There is a
chamfered plinth around the building and below it, on the east, west and south
sides, are a series of arch-headed niches, most of which contain slate plaques in
memory of various members of the Simcoe family. The roof is gable-ended with shaped
Interior: the roof structure is hidden by a plaster segmental vault. The walls are
plastered and the floor is laid with C19 tiles. Carved oak reredos in Gothic style
and including painted panels of the Lords Prayer and Commandments. Beerstone ashlar
altar in Gothic style. Oak altar rail on cast iron standards. The oak reading desk
the pews and wainscotting incorporate a great deal of C17 carved pieces including
linenfold panels, chip-carved lunettes flowers and the like. The font is Beerstone
and Gothic in style. There are some probably C18 lozenge-shaped boards on the walls
painted with armorial bearings.
A plaque also records that in 1966 the deeds of the chapel were handed to the Prime
Minister of Ontario by Sir Geoffrey Harmsworth whose family previously owned
restored and maintained the chapel. It is the burial place of Leiutenant General
John Graves Simcoe (1752 - 1806) who was the first Leiutenant Governor of Upper
Canada, now Ontario, and was the founder of the city of York, now Toronto.
The chapel is apparently built on the site of Old Wulphere Church.
Listing NGR: ST1371505240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings