This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8943 / 51°53'39"N
Longitude: 0.9987 / 0°59'55"E
OS Eastings: 606423
OS Northings: 226001
OS Grid: TM064260
Mapcode National: GBR SN9.78S
Mapcode Global: VHKG1.8N95
Entry Name: Elmstead Hall
Listing Date: 21 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120057
Location: Elmstead, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Elmstead
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Elmstead St Anne and St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM 02 NE ELMSTEAD CHURCH ROAD
3/3 Elmstead Hall
House. C15 and C16 of earlier origin with later alterations and additions.
Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs, projecting eaves cornices.
2 repaired C16 red brick attached diagonal shaft chimney stacks, forward off
centre right stack and plastered left end stack. Original bargeboards to end
and rear gables. 2 storeys and attics. Central hall with crosswings to right
and left. Rear wings including stair turret. 2:4:2 window range of small paned
vertically sliding sashes. Central 6 -panelled door, moulded surround, flat
canopy on brackets, bargeboards and band to gables. Internal features include
large good quality C16 frame incorporating an earlier, possibly C15, formerly
jettied east crosswing. Jowled storey posts, halved and bridled scarf joints
and very deep section floor joists. Good quality wind braced side purlin roof,
with double wall plates and interrupted tie beams for attic headroom. Solid
tread staircase to attics, C17 and C18 panelling, the room above the hall with
fluted pilasters and moulded cornice. Original doorways with 4 centred heads,
sunk spandrels and carved stops. 2 blocked windows with moulded mullions and
transoms. Several C16 and C17 doors. C18 corner cupboard with strapwork
pilasters and shell hood to ground floor. In the attic but not in-situ are
several C17/C18 iron windows with swan neck catches, also a C19 cast iron fire
surround with tiled sides. The present occupier has photographs of original
wall paintings of grotesques, discovered by Mrs. Mitchell, 1928, which are said
to survive behind a wall panel. There is a copy of part of the design and an
article giving a date circa 1560 by G. Montague-Benton, Transactions, Essex
Archaeological Society Vol. XXI Part I. RCHM 3.
Listing NGR: TM0642326001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings