This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8357 / 50°50'8"N
Longitude: -3.9647 / 3°57'52"W
OS Eastings: 261748
OS Northings: 105860
OS Grid: SS617058
Mapcode National: GBR KV.WRFN
Mapcode Global: FRA 26LW.M7R
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146659
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92910
Location: Broadwoodkelly, West Devon, Devon, EX19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Broadwoodkelly
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadwoodkelly All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 60 NW
2/27 Church of All Hallows
Parish church. C13, considerably rebuilt in C15 and early C16, restored in 1867-8.
Local stone rubble walls with dressed granite quoins, granite ashlar to front of
porch. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle and porch, west tower. Chancel incorporates some
C13 fabric, nave is probably C15 tower, south aisle and porch are circa early C16.
Restored by R. D. Gould in 1867-8.
Exterior: 3 stage tower with crocketted pinnacles and 2 light belfry openings with
-centred heads. Set-back buttresses. Granite west doorway is moulded with 4-
centred head. 3 light Perpendicular west window has been partly repaired. Nave has
only 1 window on north side, a C19 restoration in Perpendicular style. No
buttresses and chancel is continuous with C13 Y-tracery 2 light window. East window
is C19 or C20 restoration in Decorated style. The east end of the south aisle is
set back from the chancel with a 3 light Perpendicular style window similar to that
of the nave. On its south side the aisle has 3 tall early C16 mullion windows with
4-centred heads and square hoodmoulds. Mullions partly renewed. Small priests door
below right-hand one with segmental granite head. 1 storey south porch has 4-
centred granite doorway with roll hollow and roll moulding and chamfered imposts.
Small C18 slate sundial above.
Interior: Porch has original wagon roof with moulded ribs and decorative foliage
and flower bosses. Granite south doorway with 4-centred head, roll and hollow
moulding and prominent stops. The heavy plank door has a wooden lock case on the
back inscribed "Robert Wollan 1694".
4 bay granite arcade of chamfered 4-centred arches and Pevsner A-type piers. No
chancel arch. Plain chamfered 4-centred tower arch.
Nave has simple collar-rafter late C15 or C16 open wagon roof. More elaborate wagon
roof to aisle with moulded ribs, bosses of various designs, some with human faces,
and running foliage wall-plates.
C15 or C16 granite octagonal font, roof moulded at base of bowl, on heavy square
There are several good early C18 wall memorials: one of the Webber family who died
1707 -1754 with a broken pediment and reeded pilasters. Another elaborate stone
memorial of 1711 to Anne Hetherch with a broken segmental pediment, stiff-leafed
foliage capitals to columns and ornamentation at sides and below. On the south
aisle wall is a memorial plaque of 1724 to Jane Chapman with a coat of arms at the
In the north window of the chancel some old glass is preserved dated 1523.
Source: Devon C19 Churches Project
Listing NGR: SS6174605858
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings