History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eresby House

A Grade II Listed Building in Spilsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1655 / 53°9'55"N

Longitude: 0.0859 / 0°5'9"E

OS Eastings: 539542

OS Northings: 365179

OS Grid: TF395651

Mapcode National: GBR KVM.JKC

Mapcode Global: WHJLY.9P4N

Entry Name: Eresby House

Listing Date: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196179

Location: Spilsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Spilsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Spilsby St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Raithby

Listing Text

SPILSBY MAIN ROAD
TF 36 NE
(west side)
2/64 Eresby House
G.V. II
Originally a house, then converted to stables, now 2 houses.
Early C17, altered to stables C18, reconverted to house late C19
with C20 alterations. Red brick, slate and pantile roofs, 3 C19
ridge stacks. H-plan. 2 storey with garrets, first floor band,
gable bands, one C19 bargeboard, one dogtoothed eaves course. In
the projecting gable ends are semi-circular headed recessed
panels with chamfered brick surrounds. In the right hand one a
C19 blocked arch to ground floor and a C18 oval pitching eye with
brick segmental hood mould of a blocked window above. The centre
bays have been refenestrated C20, but contain a C18 flat splayed
brick carriage arch. The left hand projecting bay has a 3 light
C19 casement to ground floor and a 2 light similar window to
first floor. Late C19 left hand side front of 4 bays with
plinth, moulded terracotta band and eaves course, and ashlar
lintels. Off-centre C20 door in projecting brick surround with
coped lead roof, with to left a single and to right a pair of C19
2 light casements. To first floor 4 similar windows. The right
hand side front, with dogtooth eaves, rebuilt above C18, has 2
C19 segmental arched doorways with double planked doors, with to
right a single similar doorway. Above 2 oval pitching eyes, set
in C18 raised brick surrounds. The rear has C20 door and windows
with evidence of earlier blocked openings. Eresby Hall was
destroyed by fire in 1769. The manor of Eresby was held by the
Willoughby family, also of Grimsthorpe Castle in the south of
Lincolnshire.


Listing NGR: TF3954265179

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.