History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Kings Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in North Weald Bassett, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7135 / 51°42'48"N

Longitude: 0.1644 / 0°9'51"E

OS Eastings: 549624

OS Northings: 203852

OS Grid: TL496038

Mapcode National: GBR MGP.DDV

Mapcode Global: VHHMM.S6R9

Entry Name: The Kings Head Public House

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Last Amended: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118216

Location: North Weald Bassett, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: North Weald Bassett

Built-Up Area: North Weald Bassett

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: North Weald St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 40 SE NORTH WEALD BASSETT HIGH ROAD
6/13 The Kings Head Public House
20.2.67 (formerly listed as the
Kings Head Inn)

II

Hall house, C15, altered in C17 and C20, now a public house. Timber framed,
plastered with framing exposed externally, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
2 storey hall block aligned approximately NE-SW, aspect NW, with axial chimney
stack at each end. 2 crosswings. Rear extension behind SW crosswing, and lean-
to extension to SW. Side wall of NE crosswing rebuilt in brick. 2 storeys. 3
doors with leaded glazing, 4 casement windows with leaded glazing on ground
floor, 5 on first floor, all C20. Jowled posts. In SW crosswing, curved
tension bracing trenched outside studs. Both crosswings have roofs of crownpost
construction. Hall block has wall framing with primary straight bracing.
introduced bracing in NE crosswing. This building began as a late medieval open
hall with 2 crosswings. In the C17 the hall was replaced by a 2 storey hall
block. There was extensive reconstruction in 1927, including the exposure of
the framing and the insertion of much timber.


Listing NGR: TL4962403852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.