History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6826 / 52°40'57"N

Longitude: -0.0211 / 0°1'16"W

OS Eastings: 533868

OS Northings: 311273

OS Grid: TF338112

Mapcode National: GBR JZZ.TQ3

Mapcode Global: WHHN2.NT4T

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146771

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198005

Location: Gedney Hill, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Gedney Hill

Built-Up Area: Gedney Hill

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gedney Hill Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Gedney Hill

Listing Text

GEDNEY HILL HILLGATE
TF 31 SW (east side)

13/42 Church of the Holy
30.6.66 Trinity

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C14, mid C15, mostly rebuilt in 1875 by
James Fowler. Limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings,
some red brick, some render. Slate and lead roofs with
decorative red ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross finials.
Tall octagonal south chimney, tall rectangular north chimney.
West tower, nave with north and south aisles and north and south
porches, chancel with south vestry. 4 stage late C14 west tower
remodelled in C15 with moulded plinth and 4 stage angle
buttresses with ornate gablets at second stage; the north east
buttress contains stair turret with 2 slit lights. Triangular
headed west window with 3 triangular headed lights, hood mould
and grotesque head label stops. Ornate ogee headed niche above
with finial. Slit window above on west and south sides, the
latter with hood mould. Clock above on west side. Battered bell
stage with bell openings on all 4 sides; each with a pointed
head, 2 semi-circular headed cusped lights, castellated transom
and hood mould. Brick battlements. The remainder of the church
rebuilt in 1875 with plinth and regularly placed, 2 stage
buttresses. North aisle with shallow pointed west window with 2
pointed cupsed lights and hood mould. North side with single
window to the right of the porch and 3 windows to the left, all
the windows are rectangular with 3 ogee headed cusped lights and
hood mould. Rectangular porch with stepped gable with cross
finial; cusped slit light in west return; 4 centred doorway
with foliate spandrels, rectangular hood mould and plank door,
shield above. Porch interior with rectangular doorway with hood
mould and plank door. North side of chancel with segmental
headed window with 3 pointed cusped lights with hood mould. East
end with a large pointed window with 3 pointed cusped lights,
perpendicular tracery, hood mould and sill band. East end of
south aisle plain. South side with a rectangular window to right
with 2 ogee headed cusped lights and hood mould. Priest's
doorway to left with a four centred head, continuously moulded
surround and plank door. 3 windows to the left, each with
segmental head, 3 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. Timber
framed gabled porch to left, with paired lancets in return walls,
four centred doorway with a pair of partially glazed doors.
Another segmental headed window to left, with 3 pointed cusped
lights and hood mould. West end of south aisle with pointed
head, 2 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. Late C14 interior
tower arch with pointed head with inner roll moulded order
supported by semi-circular responds with castellated capitals,
and 2 outer continuously moulded orders. Tower interior with
north-east doorway with a four centred head, continuously moulded
surround, hood mould, ornate label stops and plank door. C19
timber arcades supported on tall stone plinths, 4 of which are
medieval. Curved braces support tiebeams, 4 of which are re-
used C15 timbers. No chancel arch, with chancel defined by C19
screen. South chancel wall with C15 window re-set above vestry
doorway, the former with a segmental head and 3 pointed cusped
lights; the latter with a four centred head, continuously
chamfered surround and plank door. Pointed C19 aumbry with
cusped head and hood mould. C19 octagonal font. A grey and
white marble monument with swags and urn, to John Perkins, died
1855. A white and grey streaked marble monument to Jacob
Decamps, died 1770. A white marble monument with flaming heart,
palms and urns to Mary Kingston, died 1815. Several C18 and C19
gravestones.


Listing NGR: TF3386811273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.