This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5279 / 51°31'40"N
Longitude: 0.4753 / 0°28'31"E
OS Eastings: 571801
OS Northings: 183898
OS Grid: TQ718838
Mapcode National: GBR PN2.10W
Mapcode Global: VHJL1.6V4M
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 8 February 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119674
Location: Thurrock, SS17
Electoral Ward/Division: Corringham and Fobbing
Built-Up Area: Stanford-le-Hope
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Fobbing
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
5221 HIGH ROAD
Church of St Michael
TQ 78 SW 7/18 8.2.60
C11, with extensive alterations in C14 and C15. Ragstone rubble, with flint,
septaria, and Reigate dressings. Red plain tile roofs. C11 Nave, has 2
C14 windows in north wall with cinquefoiled ogee lights, and a blocked C11
window with round head. C14 north doorway has moulded jambs and 2 centred
arch. Late C15 rood loft staircase. Lower door has 2 centred head and upper
door has 4 centred head. C14 south arcade of 4 bays, part rebuilt circa
1500. Arches are 2 centred of 2 chamfered arches, columns are octagonal
with moulded bases and capitals. C14 south aisle has 3 late C15 windows,
of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a square head. Late C15 south doorway has moulded
jambs and 2 centred arch. West wall has late C15 window. C14 chancel has
C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in 2 centred head. North wall has
re-set C13 lancet and late C15 window. South wall has C19 window and early
C14 arcade with 2 centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders. Early C14
chancel arch, 2 centred and of 2 chamfered orders. C14 south chapel has
C19 east window and C19 south doorway. South window is early C14, of 2 lights
in 2 centred head. West wall has C14, 2 centred arch of 2 hollow orders.
Late C15 west tower of 3 stages with an embattled parapet and stair turret.
Two centred tower arch, with attached shafts, moulded capitals and bases.
West window is 3 pointed lights with plain tracery and west doorway had moulded
jambs and 2 centred arch. Second stage has windows with 4 centred lights.
Bell chamber has pointed and transomed lights in 4 centred heads. Late C15
south porch, is timber framed, 4 centred arch with foliated spandrels. Carved
and cusped bargeboards. Crown post roof with moulded wall plates. Nave
roof is 7 cants with crown posts. Chancel and south chapel also 7 Cants.
North and south doors are C15 or earlier. Monument to Thomas de Crawedene
circa 1340. C13 font and C18 pulpit and benches in south aisle.
Prominent site overlooking Thames marshes.
Listing NGR: TQ7180183898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings