History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3704 / 53°22'13"N

Longitude: -0.696 / 0°41'45"W

OS Eastings: 486855

OS Northings: 386744

OS Grid: SK868867

Mapcode National: GBR RYLG.3H

Mapcode Global: WHGHB.8KS0

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146810

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197119

Location: Upton, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Upton

Built-Up Area: Upton (West Lindsey)

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Upton with Kexby All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Upton

Listing Text

SK 88 NE UPTON HIGH STREET
(east side)

2/72 Church of
16.12.64 All Saints

G.V. II*

Parish church. Mid C11, late C12, early C13, C14, 1776, 1867,
restored by Ewan Christian; 1874-5 north aisle mostly rebuilt by
James Fowler; 1880 chancel re-stored by James Fowler. Coursed
limestone and blue lias rubble; limestone and ironstone
herringbone rubble; limestone and ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs
with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with
north aisle, long chancel with north vestry. West tower of 1776
with plinth, 2 stage clasping buttresses and 3 stages. Single
lancet with hood mould, string coure above, keyed oculus, string
course and bell openings on all 4 sides, each a single round
headed opening with raised keystone. Moulded eaves above and
battlements. Part of C13 nave to north with massive C19
buttress. West and north walls of north aisle rebuilt in 1874-5
with western lancet, 2 pointed north windows each of 2 pointed
lights with hood mould and re-used C15 animal label stops and
regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. East wall of north aisle
late C12 with small, broad pointed window high up with chamfered
surround. Part of north chancel wall of Cll herringbone,
remainder of ironstone rubble, with C19 rectangular window with 2
pointed lights, hood mould and label stops. C19 lean-to below.
C19 north vestry with west doorway with Caernarvon head,
chamfered surround and plank door. Pointed north window of three
pointed lights. East end of-chancel heavily restored in 1880
with 2 C19 lancets with re-used C14 label stops and almond-
shaped window above, and flanking diagonal 2 stage buttrresses
and central 2 stage buttress. South side of chancel of blue lias
rubble and herringbone with narrow 2 stage buttresses between 3
rectangular C14 windows each of 2 ogee headed lights with
rectangular hood moulds. South side of nave with 2 two stage
buttresses between 2 C19 pointed windows each with 2 pointed
lights and single quatrefoil above, hood moulds and C14 animal
label stops. C11 south doorway with plain jambs chamfered
imposts, round head with plain tympanum, C14 hood mould and
animal label stops, plank door. Interior C19 tower arch with
pointed double chamfered head, inner order supported on corbels.
2 bay early C13 arcade with keeled responds, central round pier,
plain moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed heads with
broached mouldings where heads spring from abaci. Small pointed,
chamfered arch to east, restored in C19, with blocked rectangular
opening above. Broad pointed double chamfered C13 chancelarch
dying into flanking walls. C19 north-east organ arch with
pointed double chamfered head, inner order supported on corbels.
C13 sedilia, simple striking stone bench ends in south wall. Cl9
waijon roof over nave and Lie beam roof over chancel. C19 ornate
flint, wrought iron pulpit, pews, wrought iron altar rail and
lectern. Grey and white monument with urn to Francis Toyne, died
1750, and family. C19 monuments.


Listing NGR: SK8685586744

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.